The Student Room Group

Revision Tips

Hi!! I’m currently in Year 12, and I’ve heard a lot of people say that you should begin revising from September. Unfortunately, I have NOT done that lol. But I’ve revised before my exams and it’s still not sufficient enough.

I know it’s only the beginning of the year but I want to catch up to my peers that are at least getting As and Bs because I’m getting a lot of Cs and Ds. :frown:

Just to add, I am someone with really poor memory. As in, I can forget something that happened a SECOND ago. I’d really appreciate if there any good revision tips that I could use. Also if you’re doing or have done any of these A-Levels: AQA Psychology, OCR English Literature and AQA Sociology, please let me know what you have done to get good grades!!

Thank you! 🎀
Reply 1
heyy I'm in year 13 and i do pyschology.
When u say u have poor memory, do you mean u struggle with short -term memory? If yk that this is where u fall short, then utilise ur long-term memory as much as possible - i.e make notes, understand the topic early on in the year, and then keep doing spaced repetition, with flashcards, mindmaps, exam questions, videos, etc.
I can't give specific revision tips becos that is absolutely unique to u, but to give u some ideas, think:
do u work well with a schedule, such as a timetable? thn make a revision timetable.
alternatively, make a to-do list and tick off tasks (which is what i do).
do u work well with colours/ pictures/ highlighters? or do u find them distracting/ no useful?
do u retain info better watching a video on yt, or by reading, or by making notes?
do u work better in the morning, afternoon, night?

all of these should help u form a revision study habit, and then from there, get used to studying!
sure, it sounds dull, but if u especially hate it (like me, lol) then reward urself with short breaks throughout or a long one after a session. maybe schedule sm to do after a study sesh and have that as a motivating factor.

There are honestly so many things to think abt, but hopefully u should have sm sort of idea/s as to how to study. I know it sucks how memory is sm we cant control, but honestly consistently practising everyday/ most days is the key to keeping it in there. If u want anything else, lmk

Quick Reply

Latest