The Student Room Group

Irregular period at 18

My period is really irregular, it randomly comes every few months( sometimes monthly) and it has been like this since year 10? But before that it used to literally come on the 9th of every month and I could tell the day before whether itd come before 12 or after but then it suddenly didn’t come for 6 months and now its really irregular. Should I consult my gp ab this?
Yes! There are lots of reasons this might be happening and almost all of them are not scary but it's worth getting checked and getting proper medical advice. GPs are there for this kind of thing. It's not a waste of their time. (Meanwhile worth saying you can get pregnant if you have sex even if you're not having periods very often so use reliable contraception if you are sexually active.)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
My period is really irregular, it randomly comes every few months( sometimes monthly) and it has been like this since year 10? But before that it used to literally come on the 9th of every month and I could tell the day before whether itd come before 12 or after but then it suddenly didn’t come for 6 months and now its really irregular. Should I consult my gp ab this?

it normal to have irregular periods at 18.......
It is normal to have irregular periods for the first few years of menstruating and sometimes even longer. But the only way to know if everything's OK is to visit your doctor or nurse practitioner . The length of a menstrual cycle can vary from girl to girl, but on average they're usually between 21 and 35 days.

Each individual girl/ woman has different variations of when there periods come as there is no two people the same.

Any issues with things you should consult your GP first and foremost as they will be able to give you advice.
Hope you get things sorted out asap.

NHS registered midwife.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest