The Student Room Group

should I either pick biology or sociology a-level?

hii, I've just finished my GCSEs and I will be starting a-levels in Sept. I have chosen psychology and music, however, I'm not sure what subject should I pick as my third choice. I am now considering either biology or sociology. I personally tend to have more interest in biology because I want to study something related to animals in university or doing something related to animals in the future. But at the same time I understand that biology is one of the hardest a-levels and it has an absolute lower passing rate than sociology, I am a bit afraid that I do not have the ability to get an A in biology and worry that I will not be able to handle this subject. On the other hand, I think sociology quite suits me too and it is considered as a "soft" a-level, seems like according to what people have said on google, it is easy to get good grade as long as I put in a lot of effort, however it is so much more essay base than biology (which I don't really enjoy and writing essays are kinda like my weakness), so, I'm now struggling should I either take biology or sociology as my third subject, like interest vs probability of getting an A ? I hope i can get some suggestions from you guys please, thanks a lot!!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by clarisselty
hii, I've just finished my GCSEs and I will be starting a-levels in Sept. I have chosen psychology and music, however, I'm not sure what subject should I pick as my third choice. I am now considering either biology or sociology. I personally tend to have more interest in biology because I want to study something related to animals in university or doing something related to animals in the future. But at the same time I understand that biology is one of the hardest a-levels and it has an absolute lower passing rate than sociology, I am a bit afraid that I do not have the ability to get an A in biology and worry that I will not be able to handle this subject. On the other hand, I think sociology quite suits me too and it is considered as a "soft" a-level, seems like according to what people have said on google, it is easy to get good as long as I put in a lot of effort, however it is so much more essay base than biology (which I don't really enjoy and writing essays are kinda like my weakness), so, I'm now struggling should I either take biology or sociology as my third subject and I hope i can get some suggestions from you guys please, thanks a lot!!

If you want study science related to animals, it would probably be advisable to pick biology as most universities require two sciences, and psychology counts as one for a lot of unis.
Original post by clarisselty
hii, I've just finished my GCSEs and I will be starting a-levels in Sept. I have chosen psychology and music, however, I'm not sure what subject should I pick as my third choice. I am now considering either biology or sociology. I personally tend to have more interest in biology because I want to study something related to animals in university or doing something related to animals in the future. But at the same time I understand that biology is one of the hardest a-levels and it has an absolute lower passing rate than sociology, I am a bit afraid that I do not have the ability to get an A in biology and worry that I will not be able to handle this subject. On the other hand, I think sociology quite suits me too and it is considered as a "soft" a-level, seems like according to what people have said on google, it is easy to get good as long as I put in a lot of effort, however it is so much more essay base than biology (which I don't really enjoy and writing essays are kinda like my weakness), so, I'm now struggling should I either take biology or sociology as my third subject and I hope i can get some suggestions from you guys please, thanks a lot!!

follow your passion, do biology
Reply 3
As above, be aware that one science on its own isnt much use if you intend to study a science at Uni.
For some courses, A levels in both Psych and Biology may be okay, but you may be backing yourself into a corner by just doing one.

Have a look at the entry requirements for different degree subjects and a range of different Unis and see that A level subjects are essential or preferred.

Ignore all the twaddle on social media about 'soft' subjects - unless a Unis says specifically that they wont accept xx subject at A level (usually stuff like Dance or Accountancy) then its a A level and they dont care what its in. Sociology is certainly not considered 'easy' by Unis - its a solid essay-based A level on a par with History, Politics and English Lit.

Quick Reply

Latest