The Student Room Group

I have no job references

I have no academic references because it was covid and my personal tutor at uni never reached out...
I also have one job reference where I worked for 2 months and that was at my cousins petrol station...
Am I doomed???
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have no academic references because it was covid and my personal tutor at uni never reached out...
I also have one job reference where I worked for 2 months and that was at my cousins petrol station...
Am I doomed???

It is your responsibility to reach out to your academic tutor, not the other way around. If you want something, you have to ask!
When did you graduate?

What are you applying for now? IE. What do you need a reference for?
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
When did you graduate?

What are you applying for now? IE. What do you need a reference for?

I graduated in July 2023. I am still looking for a job, I am just applying to general admin jobs and some recruiting ones. The jobs that require references when applying are mainly hotel receptionist jobs or working as an office assistant at a school!
Reply 4
Original post by hotpud
It is your responsibility to reach out to your academic tutor, not the other way around. If you want something, you have to ask!

but it was corona and I was new in first year (2020 september) it is not my fault ☹️
Reply 5
but it was corona and I was new in first year (2020 september) it is not my fault ☹️

I know. But still, if something isn't right, doing nothing isn't going to make it right. Reach out to your tutor and ask for a reference. It is the least they can do.
Reply 6
Original post by hotpud
I know. But still, if something isn't right, doing nothing isn't going to make it right. Reach out to your tutor and ask for a reference. It is the least they can do.

ok, they don't know me much lol
Reply 7
ok, they don't know me much lol

No. But they know what scores you got on the various modules and the fact you rocked up to online lessons etc etc. I am sure they could write something generic which will do the trick.

Failing that, family friends who are in positions of responsibility who can give you a character reference? Come on - this is really hard work on my point. If you can't figure this out how do you expect anyone to employ you?
I graduated in July 2023. I am still looking for a job, I am just applying to general admin jobs and some recruiting ones. The jobs that require references when applying are mainly hotel receptionist jobs or working as an office assistant at a school!

That’s very recent. They’ll definitely be able to provide a reference even if it is a bit less personal. Just reach out to your academic department.
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
That’s very recent. They’ll definitely be able to provide a reference even if it is a bit less personal. Just reach out to your academic department.

ok thank you so much for the encouragement x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending