The Student Room Group

Need help finding employment

I finished school in late June and I've been applying for different jobs and apprenticeships since then. All of my applications so far have been rejected/ignored. I am finding it really hard to find good opportunities as 99% of employers demand experience, and the ones that don't are jobs that I am very unlikely to get (e.g. waitress jobs, because I go bright red and stress out in social settings, lifelong social anxiety 🙁).

I don’t know where to go from here. I have no idea what I want as a career and no friends/family that can offer me a position in their place of work. Even volunteering positions rejected me or demanded referees (which I cannot provide, complicated situation). I was planning to jump straight into employment when I was done with school, and I feel like I’m behind all of my peers that have gone to uni. I could use some advice on how to deal with this. It’s going to be my very first job so I have absolutely zero experience but I have tried making my CV as nice as possible.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Eva0
I finished school in late June and I've been applying for different jobs and apprenticeships since then. All of my applications so far have been rejected/ignored. I am finding it really hard to find good opportunities as 99% of employers demand experience, and the ones that don't are jobs that I am very unlikely to get (e.g. waitress jobs, because I go bright red and stress out in social settings, lifelong social anxiety 🙁).

I don’t know where to go from here. I have no idea what I want as a career and no friends/family that can offer me a position in their place of work. Even volunteering positions rejected me or demanded referees (which I cannot provide, complicated situation). I was planning to jump straight into employment when I was done with school, and I feel like I’m behind all of my peers that have gone to uni. I could use some advice on how to deal with this. It’s going to be my very first job so I have absolutely zero experience but I have tried making my CV as nice as possible.

You've got to get over some of your barriers. You can waitress, no-one cares if you go red and it will stop after a few days when you are in the job. You can get references, you have to get past the 'complicated situation'. You are basically stopping yourself by your mindset.

Employers know ful well what an entry level job is, they don't need to see work experience, they need to see an applicant who has clearly thought about the job, worked out what the relevant skills are and has done thier best to show they have the relevant skills through activities theyhave done via school, church, sports, interests etc.

No-one has zero experience unless they have lived a very peculiar life. You have evidence of time keeping, rule following, honesty, hard work, organisation, maybe leadership, maybe handling money, maybe serving other people etc. That's all the experience you need to get an entry level job, you just have to present it clearly and professionally to the employer.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
You've got to get over some of your barriers. You can waitress, no-one cares if you go red and it will stop after a few days when you are in the job. You can get references, you have to get past the 'complicated situation'. You are basically stopping yourself by your mindset.

Employers know ful well what an entry level job is, they don't need to see work experience, they need to see an applicant who has clearly thought about the job, worked out what the relevant skills are and has done thier best to show they have the relevant skills through activities theyhave done via school, church, sports, interests etc.

No-one has zero experience unless they have lived a very peculiar life. You have evidence of time keeping, rule following, honesty, hard work, organisation, maybe leadership, maybe handling money, maybe serving other people etc. That's all the experience you need to get an entry level job, you just have to present it clearly and professionally to the employer.

Thank you so much for the advice. My brain is probably my greatest enemy right now. I've spent my entire life avoiding any activities that would be fulfilling because I am afraid of facing new challenges, and now that I'm an adult, the consequences of that are finally caught up to me.

I do try to research what the job I'm applying for wants from a candidate. I tend to meet most of the personality criteria (e.g. friendliness) but then there is a more specific criteria (e.g. good customer service). I know that there might be a way to overcome that even without experience but I have no idea how to write something that will convince an employer to give me a chance.

The 'complicated situation' I was referring to is that I only have one friend which is able to give me references (I'm a bit of a loner), and I'm unable to obtain any from school because it is shutting down. Luckily, no employers asked me for references, just charity shops for whom I wanted to volunteer.

I have no idea what I want to do as a career, so perhaps employers can see that I'm not entirely invested in their vacancy/company. I try my best do appear that way but maybe I'm just not convincing enough lol. Sorry for the long speech, thanks in advance for any replies back.
Original post by Eva0
Thank you so much for the advice. My brain is probably my greatest enemy right now. I've spent my entire life avoiding any activities that would be fulfilling because I am afraid of facing new challenges, and now that I'm an adult, the consequences of that are finally caught up to me.

I do try to research what the job I'm applying for wants from a candidate. I tend to meet most of the personality criteria (e.g. friendliness) but then there is a more specific criteria (e.g. good customer service). I know that there might be a way to overcome that even without experience but I have no idea how to write something that will convince an employer to give me a chance.

The 'complicated situation' I was referring to is that I only have one friend which is able to give me references (I'm a bit of a loner), and I'm unable to obtain any from school because it is shutting down. Luckily, no employers asked me for references, just charity shops for whom I wanted to volunteer.

I have no idea what I want to do as a career, so perhaps employers can see that I'm not entirely invested in their vacancy/company. I try my best do appear that way but maybe I'm just not convincing enough lol. Sorry for the long speech, thanks in advance for any replies back.

Yes, if you have avoided activities, you have screwed yourself over. But have another think - most young people spend about 8 hours a day asleep/eating and 8 hours in education - what have you done with the other 8 hours? More or less anything can be turned into experience, but it may direct where you can effectively apply. Did you have caring responsibilities for a parent or grandparent, did you babysit, did you play a sport regularly, did you do DofE or NCS?

Go back to the school and ask what they are putting in place for references for leavers. Friends can't give references anyway. You need to manage your life so that you have at least 2 adults who know you through some activity other than socially, so church leaders, volunteer leaders, sports coaches, teachers etc they can all give references.

Volunteering is the best way to get good experience, but look beyond the high street charity shops. Google Do-it.org and similar to find charities in your local area that need volunteers - doing something environmental will show teamwork, organisation, hard work, co-operation etc.

Leave career decisions to emerge, you are before that stage at the moment, you just need to build experiences and catch up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending