The Student Room Group

geography alevel NEA help

So my enquiry question I'm planning to do is: 'to what extent do people perceive the regeneration of the olympic park as successful in Stratford?'

I want to plan out the methodology but how would I go about measuring perceived success, like what questions would I ask and what quantitative/qualitative methods would you reccomend?
would probably recommend doing google form survey. are you local to london? you could send a google survey out to your school - I did a similar thing asking about perception vs reality of my local area. some questions you could ask is like what adjectives you would associate with it etc but it depends how you are measuring success - is that socially, environmentally or economically? another thing to look at is newspaper coding for qualitative data and you could use census and crime data for quantitative data
Reply 2
Original post by zoemcinnes03
would probably recommend doing google form survey. are you local to london? you could send a google survey out to your school - I did a similar thing asking about perception vs reality of my local area. some questions you could ask is like what adjectives you would associate with it etc but it depends how you are measuring success - is that socially, environmentally or economically? another thing to look at is newspaper coding for qualitative data and you could use census and crime data for quantitative data

I'm going to be asking local people that live in Stratford near the olympic park, I live in paddington but yes that could be good. However, people in my school don't know much about the regeneration of the olympic park so I don't think I would be able to get useful data from that.
I'm focusing on the social and economic success
Reply 3
Original post by t0897
So my enquiry question I'm planning to do is: 'to what extent do people perceive the regeneration of the olympic park as successful in Stratford?'

I want to plan out the methodology but how would I go about measuring perceived success, like what questions would I ask and what quantitative/qualitative methods would you reccomend?

If you want do a Questionnaire, I would ask the following
1 - Crime Levels in the Area - how save are you?
2 - Good Leisure / Opportunities
3 - Cost of Living
4 - Environment
* - Note, come up with a formal , ethical question. This questionnaire has to be taken in a formal and serious way. I am sure you know what to do from here.

Things I would recommend you do to beside a questionnaire :
- Do an Environmental Quality Survey [Physical / Built Environment ]
- Take Pictures of the new buildings and annotate them - something very similar is shown in the Example NEA (if your doing AQA )
- Count the amount of litter on streets and green spaces available [Environment]
- Talk about how the Stratford Station has created another LEVEL OF ACCESBILITY to the Town. The Stratford Station is provided by buses going from Chingford/Walthamstow/Leyton/Ilford etc... , London Underground (Central / Jubilee ) , Tfl Rail , London Overground , Mainline Trains connecting Stratford to other cities outside of London [Transport / Economic]
- Use a Noise Meter App to measure the sound [Environment]
- Talk about how Westfield has attracted a lot of people to shop there - count the people that come in for a certain period of time [Economic]
- Check for any Estate Agents and try and look at the Prices - could the regeneration caused the lower-class people to leave this area and make the area unaffordable [Give a downside]

Good luck - I hope you do well in your NEA.
If you have a query, reply - I am active daily on this site.
Reply 4
Original post by sivan10
3 - Cost of Living
4 - Environment
* - Note, come up with a formal , ethical question. This questionnaire has to be taken in a formal and serious way. I am sure you know what to do from here.

- Take Pictures of the new buildings and annotate them - something very similar is shown in the Example NEA (if your doing AQA )
- Count the amount of litter on streets and green spaces available [Environment]
- Talk about how the Stratford Station has created another LEVEL OF ACCESBILITY to the Town. The Stratford Station is provided by buses going from Chingford/Walthamstow/Leyton/Ilford etc... , London Underground (Central / Jubilee ) , Tfl Rail , London Overground , Mainline Trains connecting Stratford to other cities outside of London [Transport / Economic]
- Talk about how Westfield has attracted a lot of people to shop there - count the people that come in for a certain period of time [Economic]
- Check for any Estate Agents and try and look at the Prices - could the regeneration caused the lower-class people to leave this area and make the area unaffordable [Give a downside]

thank you for your advice, my only concern is that I'm looking at the local residents' perceptions of success following regeneration so by doing some of the examples above myself I feel I won't be answering the question.
Reply 5
Original post by t0897
thank you for your advice, my only concern is that I'm looking at the local residents' perceptions of success following regeneration so by doing some of the examples above myself I feel I won't be answering the question.

I see . Which examples exactly do you feel you won't be answering the question?

Also which exam board are you doing?
Original post by t0897

Hi!
I'm doing a similar study question, and I am doing mine on Westfield. My hypotheses are:
Westfield has stimulated economic development within the White City area
Residents feel as though Westfield has improved the built environment
Westfield has created an attractive and usable built environment

My methods for the first one are interviewing local businesses to see the effect of Westfield, and doing a survey where I find out why people are in the area and how far they've travelled (for sphere of influence)
For the second hypotheses I am doing a quality decay index in residential streets, and also interviewing residents
For the 3rd I did environmental quality surveys in and around Westfield, and I also annotated before and after photos.
I will also be using secondary data for all of my hypotheses e.g crime rate, house prices

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by sivan10
3 - Cost of Living
4 - Environment

hiya, im also doing my nea on regeneration in stratford and i was wondering what I should do as my subquestions, I'm going to do house prices as one, gentrification as another maybe? and I'm not sure about the last one
For some data you could potentially look at Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) data. Each census area is ranked from best to worst on a number of different variables (hence the multiple bit - but you can look at them individually as well). I guess you might want to look at the LSOA size - there about 9,000 of these in England each with about 700 people in (so some are many square miles of Northumberland, and some are two tower blocks in the middle of London), I think the latest version of the data comes from 2019, you could maybe compare against the 2011 and 2001 censuses to see how the areas have changed.
Reply 9
Hi there! What are your sub-questions?

Original post by User3030
Hi I am also doing a similar NEA question! Is it possible you could share me in or at least help me with some data as I am running behind schedule and I'm really stressed I don't think I will be able to collect the data right now. Thank you (:
Reply 10
Original post by Hebe Dennison
Hi!
I'm doing a similar study question, and I am doing mine on Westfield. My hypotheses are:
Westfield has stimulated economic development within the White City area
Residents feel as though Westfield has improved the built environment
Westfield has created an attractive and usable built environment

My methods for the first one are interviewing local businesses to see the effect of Westfield, and doing a survey where I find out why people are in the area and how far they've travelled (for sphere of influence)
For the second hypotheses I am doing a quality decay index in residential streets, and also interviewing residents
For the 3rd I did environmental quality surveys in and around Westfield, and I also annotated before and after photos.
I will also be using secondary data for all of my hypotheses e.g crime rate, house prices

Hope this helps :smile:

Hi, what were the questions you asked for the local businesses?
Original post by t0897

Hey I’m doing my nea on a similar topic I was wondering how did yours go? And how did you do your data and analysis x
Original post by timleebcu
For some data you could potentially look at Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) data. Each census area is ranked from best to worst on a number of different variables (hence the multiple bit - but you can look at them individually as well). I guess you might want to look at the LSOA size - there about 9,000 of these in England each with about 700 people in (so some are many square miles of Northumberland, and some are two tower blocks in the middle of London), I think the latest version of the data comes from 2019, you could maybe compare against the 2011 and 2001 censuses to see how the areas have changed.

Hey there what’s the LSOA ? Parent here so forgive me if I don’t understand all the jargon x
Original post by t0897

Individual Investigation
Methodology
How to do it?

1.Transect map identifying your exact sites

2.Any combination of your own tables, grids, paragraphs to explain your primary data collection change the headings.

You have to show you have been independent
·Where and when?

Purpose

·Why was the data collected? Link to research question in some detail
Technique and Sampling

·What exactly did you do? This method needs to be able to be repeated by the reader, so a ‘stage by stage’ guide. Write in past tense (lower marks if method cannot be repeated)
·In detail write about the sampling technique used and how often did you sample - ensure the examiner is clear of your method?
Technique and Sampling
Diagrams, maps, annotated photos of the sites and examples of data collection sheets (annotated with explanations) are highly relevant here as this data collection method needs to be able to be repeated by the reader. Do not use the exact data collection grids used on our fieldwork as this does prove you can make decisions

Justification

·Why was the data collected in this way? Include, in detail, exact reasons for your sampling strategy (stratified, random, systematic, opportunity) and sample size not bias, safety, route was familiar to you, it revealed the data you needed, near to your home,
Evaluation

·What worked well?
·What problems were encountered?
·How could it be improved?

Reply 14
Original post by ilovelemons
Hey there what’s the LSOA ? Parent here so forgive me if I don’t understand all the jargon x

It's a lower layer super output area - these are census geographic areas that have roughly a thousand houses in - so some are really small in city centres and some a several square miles in the countryside etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending