The Student Room Group

A-Level Psychology

Hi, i’m currently in year 11 and in a few months I will be at college. I have been having trouble recently picking my courses because there seems to be so many ones that I’m interested in. For a while now I’ve been adamant on taking French and recently come to the thought of taking a Sport B-Tec. However for my third choice I don’t know what direction to go in because I am interested in Photography, Applied Business and Psychology. I have been really tempted to choose Psychology because the subject has been really interesting me but I don’t know if it it’s too similar too sport and would be a waste to take when I could pick a subject completely different and open my options. I also don’t know much about what careers you can get with the qualification because the few I’ve seen I’m not really interested to take part in for the future. If you have any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated even if it’s small.
Reply 1
Original post by LucyAlexis
Hi, i’m currently in year 11 and in a few months I will be at college. I have been having trouble recently picking my courses because there seems to be so many ones that I’m interested in. For a while now I’ve been adamant on taking French and recently come to the thought of taking a Sport B-Tec. However for my third choice I don’t know what direction to go in because I am interested in Photography, Applied Business and Psychology. I have been really tempted to choose Psychology because the subject has been really interesting me but I don’t know if it it’s too similar too sport and would be a waste to take when I could pick a subject completely different and open my options. I also don’t know much about what careers you can get with the qualification because the few I’ve seen I’m not really interested to take part in for the future. If you have any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated even if it’s small.

Hey! I study psychology (OCR) and photography (AQA), alongside law, and I enjoy both.

Photography is obviously coursework heavy, so if you’d rather have more ‘control’ over the outcome that could be a good choice. I’ve found it’s also nice to have a creative subject to balance out my other essay heavy subjects. It also means I don’t have to ‘revise’ for 3 subjects which means I have more time to focus on my other 2.
Psychology is very content heavy since you have to remember lots of concepts and studies, but what you learn about is really interesting. It can be quite challenging but if you put the work in it’s definitely worth it.

Just because you take it at A-level (or equivalent) doesn’t necessarily mean you have to go into a career - I haven’t really looked into careers for either of these as I was always set of studying and going into law so I can’t really help much with that element unfortunately.

If you have any specific questions I’d be more than happy to answer :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by KK_
Hey! I study psychology (OCR) and photography (AQA), alongside law, and I enjoy both.

Photography is obviously coursework heavy, so if you’d rather have more ‘control’ over the outcome that could be a good choice. I’ve found it’s also nice to have a creative subject to balance out my other essay heavy subjects. It also means I don’t have to ‘revise’ for 3 subjects which means I have more time to focus on my other 2.
Psychology is very content heavy since you have to remember lots of concepts and studies, but what you learn about is really interesting. It can be quite challenging but if you put the work in it’s definitely worth it.

Just because you take it at A-level (or equivalent) doesn’t necessarily mean you have to go into a career - I haven’t really looked into careers for either of these as I was always set of studying and going into law so I can’t really help much with that element unfortunately.

If you have any specific questions I’d be more than happy to answer :smile:

Thank you for replying. With photography how is the course work set out? Do you have to take pictures every week?
Reply 3
Original post by LucyAlexis
Thank you for replying. With photography how is the course work set out? Do you have to take pictures every week?

No worries!

In my college we just took photos whenever we needed to, so there would be some months were I didn’t take any as I was editing/ writing, and others where I’d sometimes have one every other week. I think we were recommended to do a minimum of 3-4 shoots, and then after that you could do more if you wanted (I think I ended up doing 10 in the end) - I don’t know whether it will be the same for you but I think it’ll be pretty similar. I’d recommend spacing them out so you have more than enough time to take the photos (and retake if needed), edit, do an analysis/write up and then a check to ensure you are completely happy before moving on.

Quick Reply

Latest