The Student Room Group

Retake A Levels or take access course?

Long story short had quite a rough year, I applied to University and got 5 offers although didn't reply to any as I knew I wouldn't get the grades (and I didn't!)

On a gap year now and despite months of being firmly in the **** uni camp, I'm realising I probably do need to get a degree in order to pursue the kind of career I'm after.

The idea of retaking makes me want to die, so I'm wondering if I could do an access to HE course as an alternative? there's a psychology specific one that most universities seem to accept. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing here. Surely if you could take an exam-less course instead of going through the pain of A levels again to get into a decent uni, every tom **** and harry would be doing it?!

Is it actually a feasible option or do I really just need to suck it up and do the exams again?
Original post by nettachi
Long story short had quite a rough year, I applied to University and got 5 offers although didn't reply to any as I knew I wouldn't get the grades (and I didn't!)

On a gap year now and despite months of being firmly in the **** uni camp, I'm realising I probably do need to get a degree in order to pursue the kind of career I'm after.

The idea of retaking makes me want to die, so I'm wondering if I could do an access to HE course as an alternative? there's a psychology specific one that most universities seem to accept. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing here. Surely if you could take an exam-less course instead of going through the pain of A levels again to get into a decent uni, every tom **** and harry would be doing it?!

Is it actually a feasible option or do I really just need to suck it up and do the exams again?

Firstly, sorry to hear about your year.

Personally, I would retake the A Levels because they're accepted in more unis than the Access course. Having said that, it would depend on the specific degree you're applying for whether they would accept Access courses. I can't tell you otherwise without risking rejection from your unis.

Quick Reply

Latest