The Student Room Group

go big or go home: my guide to conquering gcse's ☆

introduction

hello, a bit late but i wanted to make my own little blog to help motivate me and stay on track on the exciting journey that is gcse's 😍
i'm currently in y10 and these are the subjects i take:

mathematics (edexcel)
english literature (aqa)
english language (aqa)
biology (aqa)
chemistry (aqa)
physics (aqa)
french (edexcel)
geography (aqa)
computer science (aqa)
drama (aqa)
hpq (aqa)

people have said i have quite a strange combo but i want to keep my options open because i'm not too sure what i want to pursue in the future yet haha
as the title suggests i'm going all in and aiming for all 9s 💪 it's gonna be a lot of hard work but i'm willing to put in the effort and from what i can see on tsr everyone seems very like-minded in the fact we all want to do well and try our best which i really like :smile:

more about me:

Spoiler

i have my y10 mocks starting next week and tbh i'm really nervous.. i've been making flashcards for just one topic of chemistry alone for the past couple days they take so long so i'm worried about whether i'll have enough time 😥😥

if anyone has any tips on how to revise for the sciences, geography, english and computer science i'd really appreciate it!!
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sciences Geography and computing - do recall (write down everything you can remember on a topic to see the parts you don’t know). Then past papers, best way to revise. Recall is really good for geography diagrams especially

English (lit or Lan). Lit in the exam plan it quickly. Revise key quotes, practice analysing, know the events in the book off by heart (read a few times and make like a storyboard maybe), know main characters off by heart. Poetry is kind of a how you do on the day one but practise times essays on random poems. Train your brain to analyse. Lan not much you can do, practice synthesis, compare and contrast and summary questions- they’re your big ones.
Original post by study23!
Sciences Geography and computing - do recall (write down everything you can remember on a topic to see the parts you don’t know). Then past papers, best way to revise. Recall is really good for geography diagrams especially

English (lit or Lan). Lit in the exam plan it quickly. Revise key quotes, practice analysing, know the events in the book off by heart (read a few times and make like a storyboard maybe), know main characters off by heart. Poetry is kind of a how you do on the day one but practise times essays on random poems. Train your brain to analyse. Lan not much you can do, practice synthesis, compare and contrast and summary questions- they’re your big ones.
thank you so so much!!
log 01: thursday 22nd february 2024
d-5 until mocks

today i want to get back on track for revising for my mocks! we've been given our exam timetable and i have made a checklist on what i want to revise today:

finish revising chem
start bio revision
start physics revision
french vocab (memrise)
do an english language paper and mark

i will update by filling in the check boxes as i do them - i originally was making detailed flashcards but being realistic i won't have enough time to do this with all my subjects. luckily as i was ranting to my friend she showed me the physics and maths tutor flashcards and they seem like a good substitute! i am going to watch some science videos instead (freesciencelessons/cognito) and just make key notes along with the pmt flashcards as i really want to get on to practicing with exam questions since science mark schemes have a tendency to be very strict 😪

i think i'll carry on with my own flashcards after mocks and i've definitely learnt to do little and often (ie updating them after every lesson/topic) rather than waiting till exam season and speedrunning 200 flashcards 😭.

putting on my spotify playlist and locking in now - will update later 💪

update: well.. i certainly wasn't as productive as i originally planned. i have made another crack into chemistry and did revise for french but not enough for me to tick the boxes. i'm planning to stay up a bit later tonight to finish up and then tomorrow i will be on the grind!!
i also found a sneaky little trick to help with the flashcards so i have gone back to them but i'm just going to watch videos (the thought of not doing anything except watch them scares me icl) and try not to beat myself too much about it.
(edited 1 month ago)
log 02: friday 23rd february 2024
d-4 until mocks

woke up really early today and i've been surprisingly productive so far! i wanted to go over some of the basics with chem (e.g moles, percentage yield vs atom economy etc) as i never fully understood them in class even after asking my teachers. now just continue to going over the sciences and the other subjects in my log 01 to do list, if i manage to complete them all i can update them here later.

i've also lost my blood brothers book for drama and and i can't find any pdfs online.. will have another look in the evening but i really want to reread it refresh my memory on the events of the play and key scenes. in our mocks we have to complete the 20 marker but we've never done it in class so i'm going to try and find a model answer online to see what the structure is like. luckily i find the written questions quite simple, just need to remember to write in 1st person as in my 12 marker practice we were given i wrote in 3rd person as well as revising the costume and set aspects in the play. will update later xoxo
update: forgot to update but there was, in fact, no update
(edited 2 months ago)
hey there, i suggest quizlet if you're making flashcards, and good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
oooo just stumbled upon your gyg and glad to see another gcse student 💪💪 i love the aesthetic of this blog btw 🤍
GOOD LUCK WITH MOCKS NEXT WEEK, you got this <33
Reply 7
just tagging other users who'll defo support your on your academic journeyyy 🤍🤍 @Tatakae L @halfharry @kayleigh_t.27 @study23! @emm4nuella @aalimk @agent_duck343 @AspiringSurvivor @bicompton
Reply 8
YESSSS WELCOME TO THE GYG COMMUNITY- very nice subject choices any idea what u want to do when ur older?
Reply 9
Original post by prettylil.thing
introduction

hello, a bit late but i wanted to make my own little blog to help motivate me and stay on track on the exciting journey that is gcse's 😍

mathematics (edexcel)
english literature (aqa)
english language (aqa)
biology (aqa)
chemistry (aqa)
physics (aqa)
french (edexcel)
geography (aqa)
computer science (aqa)
drama (aqa)
hpq (aqa)

people have said i have quite a strange combo but i want to keep my options open because i'm not too sure what i want to pursue in the future yet haha
as the title suggests i'm going all in and aiming for all 9s 💪 it's gonna be a lot of hard work but i'm willing to put in the effort and from what i can see on tsr everyone seems very like-minded in the fact we all want to do well and try our best which i really like :smile:

i have my y10 mocks starting next week and tbh i'm really nervous.. i've been making flashcards for just one topic of chemistry alone for the past couple days they take so long so i'm worried about whether i'll have enough time 😥😥

if anyone has any tips on how to revise for the sciences, geography, english and computer science i'd really appreciate it!!
OMDS HIYA BABEEEE, welcome to gyg. I shall be one of the many personal cheerleaders that you have. also thanks @milktee i owe you love <3
Reply 10
Original post by Tatakae L
OMDS HIYA BABEEEE, welcome to gyg. I shall be one of the many personal cheerleaders that you have. also thanks @milktee i owe you love <3
anytimeee 🤍🤍
(edited 2 months ago)
Thank you for tagging me @milktee! I'm also happy to see another gcse student. Good luck with your gcses! For sciences I would suggest doing copious amount of topic-specific past paper questions when you've covered the topic, and flashcards for lifers. I also really like to make condensed revision notes, so an entire 4 topics on an a4 sheet, for example - this guide shows it pretty well, and i've been doing it since y8!
introduction

mathematics (edexcel)
english literature (aqa)
english language (aqa)
biology (aqa)
chemistry (aqa)
physics (aqa)
french (edexcel)
geography (aqa)
computer science (aqa)
drama (aqa)
hpq (aqa)

Heya!! Here to support you :smile:
introduction

mathematics (edexcel)
english literature (aqa)
english language (aqa)
biology (aqa)
chemistry (aqa)
physics (aqa)
french (edexcel)
geography (aqa)
computer science (aqa)
drama (aqa)
hpq (aqa)

welcome to grow your grades ❤️
Reply 14
Original post by bicompton
Thank you for tagging me @milktee! I'm also happy to see another gcse student. Good luck with your gcses! For sciences I would suggest doing copious amount of topic-specific past paper questions when you've covered the topic, and flashcards for lifers. I also really like to make condensed revision notes, so an entire 4 topics on an a4 sheet, for example - this guide shows it pretty well, and i've been doing it since y8!

ofccc 🤍
Original post by MysteryyyGirl86
hey there, i suggest quizlet if you're making flashcards, and good luck! :smile:
i used to use quizlet so much but then it became paywalled and its hard for me to access flashcards anymore 😕 do you have any tips on how to avoid it and tysm!!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by milktee
oooo just stumbled upon your gyg and glad to see another gcse student 💪💪 i love the aesthetic of this blog btw 🤍
GOOD LUCK WITH MOCKS NEXT WEEK, you got this <33
OMG HII i was reading your gyg the other day you're so motivated!! and tysm it took me so long to figure out the codes I HAD MY FIRST TWO MOCKS TODAY AND THEY ACC WEREN'T THAT BAD THANK GOODNESS so tysm for the support <33
Original post by halfharry
YESSSS WELCOME TO THE GYG COMMUNITY- very nice subject choices any idea what u want to do when ur older?
OH HEY AGAIN!! thank youu and idk recently i've been thinking engineering because i like the idea of designing and building stuff while still being stem AND helping people/exploring new stuff but this time six months ago i was thinking law so idek lmaoo 😭. luckily i got some work experience in an engineering company for this summer so we'll see how it goes!! (i really need to have an idea in mind when picking a-levels, how did you decide what you were gonna do??)
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Tatakae L
HII i was reading your gyg it's so cool!! goodluck with your studies and honestly i love this community sm its so adorable and everyone is so nicee <33
Original post by bicompton
oh my goshh gcse squad LET'S GO @milktee haha you guys must have your exams this year i can't even imagine.. less than 100 days right?? goodluck to both of you i'm sure you'll do great! and tysm for the advice/tips i'll really need it for my mocks haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending