The Student Room Group

Arabic GCSE - Textbook Help

Hey everyone!

Since I'm going into Year 9 and I'm thinking about taking the Arabic GCSE in the future, I'm really curious about the textbooks that I should use. I'm doing it privately, meaning I won't have a tutor or teachers guiding me along the way - it would be me on my own. This is why I would really appreciate your input!

Could you kindly share the names of the textbooks that were recommended or used for studying Arabic GCSE or resources? I want to get a head start on understanding the resources available so I can plan my learning journey accordingly.

Your input would be super helpful, and I'm eager to learn from your experience. Thanks a bunch in advance for your help, and if you're in Year 11, wishing you the best for GCSE results day! :wink:

Best regards,
Anam
Original post by anam_180
Hey everyone!

Since I'm going into Year 9 and I'm thinking about taking the Arabic GCSE in the future, I'm really curious about the textbooks that I should use. I'm doing it privately, meaning I won't have a tutor or teachers guiding me along the way - it would be me on my own. This is why I would really appreciate your input!

Could you kindly share the names of the textbooks that were recommended or used for studying Arabic GCSE or resources? I want to get a head start on understanding the resources available so I can plan my learning journey accordingly.

Your input would be super helpful, and I'm eager to learn from your experience. Thanks a bunch in advance for your help, and if you're in Year 11, wishing you the best for GCSE results day! :wink:

Best regards,
Anam

Hey Anam,

Kif halak?

This sounds great. I am excited for your journey :heart:

There is the New Arabic Companion (9-1) by Chawki Nacef which comes recommended. Lots of reviews on Amazon.

Edexcel also have a core textbook https://www.pearson.com/international-schools/british-curriculum/secondary-curriculum/International-GCSE/arabic.html.html

It will also be worth looking at past exam papers for Arabic GCSE so you able to practice and feel prepared.

Afwan,
She-Ra
(edited 8 months ago)
Hey everyone!

Best regards,
Anam

....................................................................................................................................................................

Hey girl , hope u r doing well . I've just completed my arabic gcse and alhamduliallah I got a 9 . I think someone has already mentioned this but i will mention it again . This book is very useful the New Arabic Companion (9-1) by Chawki Nacef ( u can purchase it from amazon ) it comes with explanation , texts and questions/exercises to do . I highly recommend u do past papers , the vocab does tend to be repeated throughout the years and the themes are the same . If u don't mind me asking , are u a fluent arabic speaker ? I was born in an Arabic country and lived there for a very long time hence why my arabic is quite good . I'm not sure if u are aware but there are 4 aspects to the exam : speaking , reading , listening and writing . BE AWARE u must be using Fus-ha arabic for this exam , only fus-ha is allowed !!
The following link from the pearson ( edxcel ) website explains the exam aspects in detail https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Arabic/2017/Teaching-and-learning-materials/gcse-arabic-2017-getting-started-guide.pdf

This link also explains the exam and specification https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Arabic/2017/specification-and-sample-assessments/specification-gcse2017-l12-arabic-issue5.pdf

DON'T FORGET there are 2 tiers , foundation and higher ( i'm sure u r aware of the differences) make sure that u are doing the higher exam and that u are entered to the higher exam . It's easy to get a good grade in this subject especially if u come from an arabic house . Since this exam only accepts Fus-ha i recommend u watch arabic movies or shows in fus-ha or watch videos on youtube or smth .

I'm aware that this is a lot but i tried to summerise the key bits , if u have any questions please ask , i would love to help out !
Original post by She-Ra
Hey Anam,

Kif halak?

This sounds great. I am excited for your journey :heart:

There is the New Arabic Companion (9-1) by Chawki Nacef which comes recommended. Lots of reviews on Amazon.

Edexcel also have a core textbook https://www.pearson.com/international-schools/british-curriculum/secondary-curriculum/International-GCSE/arabic.html.html

It will also be worth looking at past exam papers for Arabic GCSE so you able to practice and feel prepared.

Afwan,
She-Ra

I agree 100%
Reply 4
Original post by Rosyrose123
....................................................................................................................................................................

Hey girl , hope u r doing well . I've just completed my arabic gcse and alhamduliallah I got a 9 . I think someone has already mentioned this but i will mention it again . This book is very useful the New Arabic Companion (9-1) by Chawki Nacef ( u can purchase it from amazon ) it comes with explanation , texts and questions/exercises to do . I highly recommend u do past papers , the vocab does tend to be repeated throughout the years and the themes are the same . If u don't mind me asking , are u a fluent arabic speaker ? I was born in an Arabic country and lived there for a very long time hence why my arabic is quite good . I'm not sure if u are aware but there are 4 aspects to the exam : speaking , reading , listening and writing . BE AWARE u must be using Fus-ha arabic for this exam , only fus-ha is allowed !!
The following link from the pearson ( edxcel ) website explains the exam aspects in detail https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Arabic/2017/Teaching-and-learning-materials/gcse-arabic-2017-getting-started-guide.pdf

This link also explains the exam and specification https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Arabic/2017/specification-and-sample-assessments/specification-gcse2017-l12-arabic-issue5.pdf

DON'T FORGET there are 2 tiers , foundation and higher ( i'm sure u r aware of the differences) make sure that u are doing the higher exam and that u are entered to the higher exam . It's easy to get a good grade in this subject especially if u come from an arabic house . Since this exam only accepts Fus-ha i recommend u watch arabic movies or shows in fus-ha or watch videos on youtube or smth .

I'm aware that this is a lot but i tried to summerise the key bits , if u have any questions please ask , i would love to help out !

Hey! Firstly, congratulations on getting a 9 in Arabic 🥳. Secondly, I’m not a native Arabic speaker though I can read Arabic because I can read the Quran. Thank you so much for the tips, they were really helpful! I’ll make sure the buy the Chawki Nacef book as well :smile:
Hey! Firstly, congratulations on getting a 9 in Arabic 🥳. Secondly, I’m not a native Arabic speaker though I can read Arabic because I can read the Quran. Thank you so much for the tips, they were really helpful! I’ll make sure the buy the Chawki Nacef book as well :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Listen I don't want to demotivate you but , Arabic is very hard especially the GCSE . If you are not a fluent arabic speaker or come from an arabic speaking home , u might struggle with the higher level . This GCSE isn't only reading , it's understanding and being quick , there's literally no time to think in the listening paper. I don't know ur level but i suggest you give it ur best go .... try ur best and then see , u might be better off doing foundation. But always aim for higher ! U seem like a very bright and motivated girl , so i'm sure u will do amazing in whatever path u take :smile:
Reply 6
asjkk
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Thank you :smile:

Listen I don't want to demotivate you but , Arabic is very hard especially the GCSE . If you are not a fluent arabic speaker or come from an arabic speaking home , u might struggle with the higher level . This GCSE isn't only reading , it's understanding and being quick , there's literally no time to think in the listening paper. I don't know ur level but i suggest you give it ur best go .... try ur best and then see , u might be better off doing foundation. But always aim for higher ! U seem like a very bright and motivated girl , so i'm sure u will do amazing in whatever path u take :smile:

Yeah, a lot of people say that it's tough, but I'm honestly really interested in Arabic, and I have a passion for it (I want to move to an Arabic-speaking country one day too). I wanted to learn Arabic outside of school before anyway, so I thought that I should take it because it's something I'll enjoy, and even though it will only get me to GCSE level, it would mean that I'm taking a big step towards my dream, and I can continue learning Arabic after I've done the GCSE too.

I know that it will be challenging, but with hard work, you can achieve anything, Inshaa'Allah. I guess I'll just have to give it my best, and Inshaa'Allah everything will go well! شكرًا again for all of the advice though, because you were a really big help to me :smile:

Do you have any websites that you used? Or PDFs online? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending