The Student Room Group

Returning to HE with current SFE Debt?

Hey there, I'm hoping for some advice here.

Back in 2011 I attended DMU on a 4 year course in Computing (BSc with Foundation) and midway through my 2nd year I withdrew to care for my (ex)Fiance who had a chronic condition. Back then Uni was 3.5k a year.

13 years later, and a new path in life and I'm in the course of returning to education doing something different. According to my SFE page I currently owe 15k (give or take a few hundred from accumulating interest).

I am worried they are going to hold me back, from what Ive read I shouldn't worry as I left on compassionate grounds, however I do not know the exact reason DMU have on file for my withdrawal nor what they have told SFE, and I don't have much proof of anything regarding my ex as when we broke up (2013) I left with nothing more than my PC and a suitcase of clothes, not a single document of any kind (not even my certificate of education).

The courses I have applied for are Adult Nursing and Pharmaceutical Science. From what I have read that if I get into Adult Nursing it wouldn't matter about any current SFE debt as it's a course that is except from EQL. However is I was to do PharmSci I will run into this issue of previous EQL.

Any advice on how to approach this would be really appreciated, I'd hate to have to not get a 2nd chance at life after I gave everything to care for a venerable human.
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi there,

If you contact us on 0300 100 0611 the repayments team will be able to assist with this. We can only advise on eligibility once the debt is cleared (if it is being classed as bad debt). Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If you contact us on 0300 100 0611 the repayments team will be able to assist with this. We can only advise on eligibility once the debt is cleared (if it is being classed as bad debt). Thanks, Jason
It's no so much debt it's just how much I currently have used from SFE. I really struggle to use phones due to my mental health, so I'd prefer if there was some from of email correspondence.
Original post by PwnArtist
It's no so much debt it's just how much I currently have used from SFE. I really struggle to use phones due to my mental health, so I'd prefer if there was some from of email correspondence.
That would be previous study and not debt.

There's not a limit to this if you're decide to study an exception course and would be funded as long as you're not already registered in the field you're looking to attend. So your total amount already received over the years wouldn't affect you. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
That would be previous study and not debt.

There's not a limit to this if you're decide to study an exception course and would be funded as long as you're not already registered in the field you're looking to attend. So your total amount already received over the years wouldn't affect you. Thanks, Jason
OK but is it just Nursing that is exempt or is the Pharam Sci too?
Hi,

What is the course name and university and I can check this for you. Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Hi,

What is the course name and university and I can check this for you. Thanks, Jason
Pharmaceutical Science (F151)
Teesside University, Middlesbrough (T20)
Original post by PwnArtist
Pharmaceutical Science (F151)
Teesside University, Middlesbrough (T20)
Thanks. That wouldn't be classed as an exception course if studied at full time level. If you do decide to do this at part time then do let us know the university as this may be exempt for part time funding.

Adult Nursing is an exception course as long as you're not already registered in the field you're looking to study. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending