The Student Room Group

Leaving MSc 1st Semester Effect on..

Hello, I am currently having to leave my MSc due to carers needs. I have received 1 payment from sfe already which I will pay to the University.

The University have offered me a deferral until next September because of my personal circumstances.

My question is in a years time I would prefer to do MSc in Nursing and everything including my personal life is gearing towards that course in Nursing as I volunteer at hospital also.

Will I be eligible for MSc funding again if I apply for Nursing instead of going back to my original masters in a years time?

Alternatively will I be able to apply for a Bn in Nursing if University holds my place until September next year ie will SFE see this as a payment on hold minus the 4k for this semester so to speak so I'll be seen as having 2 applications in or will they allow me to switch into another MSc

Sorry its so confusing is there a number I can speak to about this as sfe number only helps with actual application not general information.
Original post by Geri B
Hello, I am currently having to leave my MSc due to carers needs. I have received 1 payment from sfe already which I will pay to the University.

The University have offered me a deferral until next September because of my personal circumstances.

My question is in a years time I would prefer to do MSc in Nursing and everything including my personal life is gearing towards that course in Nursing as I volunteer at hospital also.

Will I be eligible for MSc funding again if I apply for Nursing instead of going back to my original masters in a years time?

Alternatively will I be able to apply for a Bn in Nursing if University holds my place until September next year ie will SFE see this as a payment on hold minus the 4k for this semester so to speak so I'll be seen as having 2 applications in or will they allow me to switch into another MSc

Sorry its so confusing is there a number I can speak to about this as sfe number only helps with actual application not general information.

Hi there,

So we can check this can you confirm the new course name and university and will this be full time? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

So we can check this can you confirm the new course name and university and will this be full time? Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason,

I'm hoping to get on either Adult Nursing MSc at University of Liverpool or Bn Adult Nursing at either UoL, John Moores University or Edgehill University.

Thank you
Original post by Geri B
Hi Jason,

I'm hoping to get on either Adult Nursing MSc at University of Liverpool or Bn Adult Nursing at either UoL, John Moores University or Edgehill University.

Thank you

Thanks and finally, what was the current course you were studying and have you advised the university that you've withdrawn? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Thanks and finally, what was the current course you were studying and have you advised the university that you've withdrawn? Thanks, Jason

It's a MSc Strategic Communications and I'm informing head of course when he is back on Thursday. But he may suggest I defer until September (which I may crumble into as I feel bad but I doubt very much I'll return to the course and instead go for the Nursing)
Original post by Geri B
It's a MSc Strategic Communications and I'm informing head of course when he is back on Thursday. But he may suggest I defer until September (which I may crumble into as I feel bad but I doubt very much I'll return to the course and instead go for the Nursing)

Hi Geri,

Thank you for confirming. You would need to check the specific course names with the university and codes if available as there are multiple different courses under those course names. You can only be eligible for the Postgraduate Loan once, unless you provide evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons to apply for this again. Nursing courses are an exception to previous study rules but only if it is an undergraduate course or if it is specifically a 'Postgraduate in Healthcare' course.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Geri,

Thank you for confirming. You would need to check the specific course names with the university and codes if available as there are multiple different courses under those course names. You can only be eligible for the Postgraduate Loan once, unless you provide evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons to apply for this again. Nursing courses are an exception to previous study rules but only if it is an undergraduate course or if it is specifically a 'Postgraduate in Healthcare' course.

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare,

Thank you. I do have compelling reasons my husband is seriously ill I have to care for him. When you say Postgraduate in Healthcare.

Would the Nursing (Adult) MSc from either university of Liverpool or Edgehill qualify? I can't find course codes sorry.

Is there a list where I can check qualifying codes please.

Thank you
Reply 7
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Geri,

Thanks, Clare

Sorry Clare,

I forgot to ask is there anyway I can contact sfe now to explain why I'm withdrawing and why I'm hoping to be able to reapply for September 2024?
Hi Geri B,

The withdrawal needs to come from your university and we don't require a reason for this from you. If you are making a new application for the 24/25 academic year you don't need to tell us why you're hoping to reapply now, you would simply need to send Compelling Personal Reasons with your new paper Postgraduate application when these open next year.

If you are applying for a Postgraduate Healthcare course you would need to make an Undergraduate application, I would advise speaking with your university to clarify if your course is classified as this or not.

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 9
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi Geri B,

The withdrawal needs to come from your university and we don't require a reason for this from you. If you are making a new application for the 24/25 academic year you don't need to tell us why you're hoping to reapply now, you would simply need to send Compelling Personal Reasons with your new paper Postgraduate application when these open next year.

If you are applying for a Postgraduate Healthcare course you would need to make an Undergraduate application, I would advise speaking with your university to clarify if your course is classified as this or not.

Thanks,
Calum

Hi Callum,

Is physician associate msc which has to be applied for through undergraduate ucas considered postgraduate healthcare course and exempt from sfe claiming for masters second time (even though I've had to leave masters early as explained university have messed this up btw they still haven't removed me from course I've contacted them again!)

Thank you in advance

Geri
Hi there. Which university would the Physician Associate Msc be with? We need the university and course name in order to check this.

There is none under this name at the University of Liverpool, but the ones at Edge Hill all attract Postgraduate funding, and therefore you would need compelling personal reasons to apply again.

Thanks, Leah.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Which university would the Physician Associate Msc be with? We need the university and course name in order to check this.

There is none under this name at the University of Liverpool, but the ones at Edge Hill all attract Postgraduate funding, and therefore you would need compelling personal reasons to apply again.

Thanks, Leah.

Thanks Leah,

Yes it's Edgehill University I want to go to please.
Reply 12

Thanks, Leah.

I had to leave due to husbands serious physical and mental ill health drastic decline. He was getting lost getting into trouble and subsequently disappeared from hospital and went missing for a week and I had the mental health crisis team and police looking for him as he's considered a vulnerable adult. We know have social services involved.
Reply 13

Thanks, Leah.

I had to leave due to husbands serious physical and mental ill health drastic decline. He was getting lost getting into trouble and subsequently disappeared from hospital and went missing for a week and I had the mental health crisis team and police looking for him as he's considered a vulnerable adult. We know have social services involved.
Original post by Geri B

Hi there,

I have responded to your other thread. Any further questions if you can submit these to the other thread and we'll be able to assist. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending