The Student Room Group

Dispute with university student loan

Hi,

I am having a dispute with my university, I did not complete a final term and then left the course, I ended up sick and incapacitated in another country and missed the interruption date by two weeks. They drew down the 4000 pound of the student loan and they won’t return it, they keep pushing responsibility on to the faculty which has now left the university and become accredited by another university. Is there a third party organisation or body that assist me with this case. Regards
Maybe you should apply for compelling personal reasons with SFE and perhaps ask for advisement on your issue.
Reply 2
Thanks Matt, is SFE = student finance england?
Original post by Robohur

Which student finance body did you apply for loans from?
Original post by Robohur

Yes, obviously only applicable to you if they processed the tuition fees and maintenance loans.
Reply 5
Original post by normaw
Which student finance body did you apply for loans from?

The student loans company
Note that most universities have a clearly published fee liability date/deadline, after which you are liable for the tuition fees (or some part of them) - to which you usually also will have agreed to as part of your enrollment. If you withdrew after that date, then normally you are liable for some or all of the fees and so they will have claimed those from SFE (or SFW/SFNI/SAAS as applicable for a home student being funded by one of those bodies). Before pursuing that further with said funding body or the university, I would recommend finding that information and comparing it to your withdrawal date. As if you withdrew after it then you aren't going to have a leg to stand on to make any kind of claim against the uni anyway.
Reply 7
Thanks for the response, I did withdraw after the withdrawal date and they have a clear policy around this but I was extremely I’ll and in another country. This is my argument, I was incapacitated and should be given clemency due to exceptional circumstances. They agree with this but they say the faculty must amend the withdrawal date, the faculty is no longer attached to the university. The faculty is saying it’s the university’s job to amend the record. Nobody is taking responsibility for it and I have fallen through a crack of some sort
Reply 8
I withdrew 2 weeks past the withdrawal date due to severe illness. This has cost me 4000 pound
Original post by Robohur
Thanks for the response, I did withdraw after the withdrawal date and they have a clear policy around this but I was extremely I’ll and in another country. This is my argument, I was incapacitated and should be given clemency due to exceptional circumstances. They agree with this but they say the faculty must amend the withdrawal date, the faculty is no longer attached to the university. The faculty is saying it’s the university’s job to amend the record. Nobody is taking responsibility for it and I have fallen through a crack of some sort

Have you submited a formal complaint or have you just been ping ponged between the faculty and main uni?
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
Have you submited a formal complaint or have you just been ping ponged between the faculty and main uni?

Serious email ping pong going on, no formal complaint made yet.
Original post by Robohur
Serious email ping pong going on, no formal complaint made yet.

I would send an email to both contact points stating how long you've been trying to resolve, along with how many messages have been sent. Then just state calmly that'll you'll have to raise a formal complaint if it can't be concluded, as neither the academic dept or central team are taking ownership.

NB. Even if you do raise a complaint, from what I've read you are still relying on some good faith on their part. Regardless of what the dept have said, the uni may ultimately decide that the debt is still due.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending