The Student Room Group

Where do PhD students live in Cambridge?

I have just received an offer at Cambridge uni but am not sure what to do about accommodation. I am hoping to live with my partner in Cambridge and I’m wondering what people would recommend to do. Is it better to live in college accommodation or is it better to go private? I’m also wondering if it’s maybe too late to look for decent private accommodation for this October?
Original post by Anonymous
I have just received an offer at Cambridge uni but am not sure what to do about accommodation. I am hoping to live with my partner in Cambridge and I’m wondering what people would recommend to do. Is it better to live in college accommodation or is it better to go private? I’m also wondering if it’s maybe too late to look for decent private accommodation for this October?

First year's usually live in College accommodation to take some pressure off adulting in a new course/city/county/language/culture etc. Then after that, when they know the city better and understand what they've let themselves in to they move into private accommodation. Having said that, not many Colleges have much couples accommodation, so once you know your College, have a convo with them, judge the situation and start looking in the private market. It's nowhere near too late. Landlords don't yet know who of their tenants is going to leave and who extend. But start looking at the market now so you have a good idea of what you want v what you can afford!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending