The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Postgraduate Accom at Cambridge

I'm currently applying for an MPhil at Cambridge, and aspiring to progress onto a PhD afterwards. I am currently picking colleges, but I am also a student that has disability requirements - I need an en suite for medical reasons, have mobility issues so struggle with extremely long distances, and have plenty of food allergies that would make living in shared accommodation a bit hellish.

I'm hence hoping to get a flat, and I was wondering what colleges you would recommend for having a higher chance to be allocated a flat - or whether there are any steps I could take before I submit my application to have a better shot at meeting these requirements? I also love the look and feel of the colleges and would love to know what recommendations people have for colleges whose flats are more central and close to sites. Thank you so much for any and all help! :biggrin:
Which subject? You might be best off with a college that's close to your department. As I think someone has said in the other thread, you're likely to find that the newer colleges have better provision of things like flats but that's not a hard and fast rule. You'll need to look at individual college websites to find out exactly what they offer.

Most colleges tend to prioritise specific medical needs when allocating accomodation so that will help.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Which subject? You might be best off with a college that's close to your department. As I think someone has said in the other thread, you're likely to find that the newer colleges have better provision of things like flats but that's not a hard and fast rule. You'll need to look at individual college websites to find out exactly what they offer.

Most colleges tend to prioritise specific medical needs when allocating accomodation so that will help.

Computer science! Thank you so much for the response - I’m hoping to apply to Downing since it has some great website pages on accessibility that seem really suited to what I need.
Original post by AnaaaElec
Computer science! Thank you so much for the response - I’m hoping to apply to Downing since it has some great website pages on accessibility that seem really suited to what I need.

Just to say that just because Downing has laid it all out on a webpage, doesn't mean their facilities are better than other Colleges. I had a flip through and they seem pretty standard. Consider where your department is (West Cambridge?) and Colleges that might be near that. For example, if you are going to be in West Cambridge, then the more modern Colleges, albeit built before accessibility was properly considered, may be much more accessible eg Churchill, Fitz, Murray Edwards, Robinson etc.
Original post by threeportdrift
Just to say that just because Downing has laid it all out on a webpage, doesn't mean their facilities are better than other Colleges. I had a flip through and they seem pretty standard. Consider where your department is (West Cambridge?) and Colleges that might be near that. For example, if you are going to be in West Cambridge, then the more modern Colleges, albeit built before accessibility was properly considered, may be much more accessible eg Churchill, Fitz, Murray Edwards, Robinson etc.

I was going to say something similar, although for a department that far out I'd be looking at which bus routes go near to the department and choosing colleges almost entirely based on where their grad accomodation is in relation to that. The U2 bus stops right outside the department and also hits a number of colleges.

To the OP, I'd be very cautious about the centre depending on how severe your mobility issues are. It can be a bit of an access nightmare at times - most of it is cobbled, bus provision is patchy, and it's swarming with tourists in the summer. Most Cambridge students get around the uni by bike because lots of places would be a long walk. If that's not an option for you then I think you should think hard about the bus options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending