The Student Room Group

edinburgh or newcastle for firm?

hi everyone, congrats on your offers if you've got any yet!

i am at the stage now i have all my decisions and need to make my firm/insurance.
northumbria uni is likely to be my insurance as it's the only uni around me with low entry requirements

however.
edinburgh: AAA
newcastle: BBB (with partners, which i HAVE to firm to get. otherwise, AAA)

i am predicted A*AA, so, it's down to which uni i want to go to with firming. but I'm struggling to pick between them to firm with the pros and cons of each uni, especially since i didn't have the finance or time to go to Edinbughs open day.

if anyone has been to edinburgh's open days, please let me know what you thought? and if anyone has any advice for me, it'll be greatly appreciated. :p:
Original post by diaeve

i am at the stage now i have all my decisions and need to make my firm/insurance.
northumbria uni is likely to be my insurance as it's the only uni around me with low entry requirements

however.

i am predicted A*AA, so, it's down to which uni i want to go to with firming. but I'm struggling to pick between them to firm with the pros and cons of each uni, especially since i didn't have the finance or time to go to Edinbughs open day.

if anyone has been to edinburgh's open days, please let me know what you thought? and if anyone has any advice for me, it'll be greatly appreciated. :p:

You have until June to decide so you should try to make time to attend an offer-holder day in Edinburgh (and many unis offer travel bursaries for open days). I'd recommend you do this as what suits some students might not suit you. Also consider living costs and the availability of accommodation for all years of your course. Edinburgh is often in the press regarding the shortage of student accommodation.
Original post by diaeve

however.

Hi there,

I am a 4th year integrated masters student in Mathematics & Statistics at Lancaster University. Both of the universities are good options in my opinion. Personally I haven't visited either of those universities but I can give you some questions to think about that helped me when deciding on a university:

Do I like the city and could I spend a lot of time there? (Does it feel safe, what facilities are there, how far might you have to walk between lectures, is there lots of study and relaxing spaces or are they all in one main location)

What parts of the subject are my favourite and least favourite? How does this line up with the course content?

What kind of support is there? (Financial support and mental health support such as deadline extensions were big ones for me)

How easy will it be for my friends and family to visit? (I knew I would get homesick if they rarely visited, especially first year)

What am I able to do in my free time? (Societies, nightlife, surrounding places/ cities)

You have a while to make your choices so I would encourage you to try and go to an offer holder event if you can. Some universities offer financial aid with this so it may be worth contacting them to ask if they could help cover any of your travel expenses.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂
Reply 3
thank you both, very helpful :smile:
Reply 4
The RIBA has reports on every architecture school in the UK, which are useful to get a sense of the teaching style and pros/cons of the architecture course (assuming that's what you're applying for) 🙂
Reply 5
Original post by Pedr0
The RIBA has reports on every architecture school in the UK, which are useful to get a sense of the teaching style and pros/cons of the architecture course (assuming that's what you're applying for) 🙂

yeah it is, i clocked i didnt actually say this so thank you 😅😅😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending