The Student Room Group

Band 3 SJT

Hi,

I recently got 2920 on my ucat with an sjt band 3 and I’m not sure where I can strategically apply.

My GCSE results are 99999999888 and I am predicted A*A*A*

I’m currently looking at Cardiff and Exeter as my top choices but Cardiff doesn’t specify their sjt usage so I’m not sure on that. I was also looking at UEA before my ucat but they seem to use SJT at interview stages.

Note that I’m a bit sceptical about taking the bmat as it seems a bit stressful not knowing the results before I apply.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to look, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by Jakevw
Hi,

I recently got 2920 on my ucat with an sjt band 3 and I’m not sure where I can strategically apply.

I’m currently looking at Cardiff and Exeter as my top choices but Cardiff doesn’t specify their sjt usage so I’m not sure on that. I was also looking at UEA before my ucat but they seem to use SJT at interview stages.

Note that I’m a bit sceptical about taking the bmat as it seems a bit stressful not knowing the results before I apply.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to look, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'd go uea, your ucat is enough for an interview, then just do enough in your interview and you have an offer. I went in with 2900 b2 last year and firmed it. ik it's band 2 not 3 but it really won't make a difference if your interview is strong!! the sjt score really shouldn't affect you if you do well trust me haha

also newcastle, I got an interview with my score so you should be able to, then again a strong interview will give your offer.
(edited 8 months ago)
put your stats in the 'which medical school I should apply to thread' and someone should be able to help soon. all the best and cg on your ucat! x
Reply 3
Original post by .765346777543
I'd go uea, your ucat is enough for an interview, then just do enough in your interview and you have an offer. I went in with 2900 b2 last year and firmed it. ik it's band 2 not 3 but it really won't make a difference if your interview is strong!! the sjt score really shouldn't affect you if you do well trust me haha

also newcastle, I got an interview with my score so you should be able to, then again a strong interview will give your offer.

Ok thanks, do you reckon my score is high enough for Bristol? Idk cause the cutoffs seem to be going up each year (last was 2910).
Reply 4
Original post by Jakevw
Hi,

Yes post in proper format on the "which medical school" post but you should have lots of options. E.g. Newcastle, and Leeds now (not double checked sjt for them but think just gcses and ucat). Exeter looks sensible. Cardiff seems a bit like a lottery especially if not Welsh (given priority) and with personal statement use - generally think better options. Leicester worth a look. Soton too. Plenty of others incl glasgow/Scottish (except edinburgh). bristol looks borderline but if others are safe and you really like could be worth pick, subject to reviewing ucat overall statistical picture once published. Could also put in one absolute banker to interview - e.g. Plymouth, aru, liverpool - but these are likely to be v competitive in terms of higher numbers interviewed per place available. also some others where gcses would help e.g. Qub. Wouldn't bother with bmat from your position given wide choices unless you really want a particular bmat uni and you know bmat suits you - could instead spend time and energy on interview prep and related (best to start early here). Note also - of those that use sjt at interview (such as birmingham, sheffield, st andrews?, Uea) they will do so in different ways - e.g. think sheffield not massive issue and uea would be helped by overall ucat score, but understand why you may not want any potential disadvantage here. B3 definitely rules out kings, notts/lincoln, manchester. hyms use sjt both pre and post interview - again may not necessarily be deal breaker but you have wide choices elsewhere.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
I have just taken my UCAT, gutted!!
I got 2560 and Bd3 SJT😨.

I got six 9’s, three 8’s and one 7 in my GGCSs

Predicted 3 A’s for A-level - Chem, Bio & Psych

Any advice on where I can apply?
Really keen on Liverpool & Leeds.
Newcastle is def out now, so will have to really look at where I can apply with this UCAT.

Not planning on BMAT given the unis doing it.
Original post by Jakevw
Hi,

I would apply to Exeter as SJT is ignored and you will definitely get an interview unless 2920 is somehow not top 10% (which it will be so don't worry).Bristol as long as you reach the cut off (which you hopefully will) and they don't look at SJT.For the 3rd option I would apply to Newcastle (its an easy back up) and for the SJT they just reject band 4 applicants but they don't actually use your SJT Band .And for the final option choose a uni you like (maybe KCL) as you will guaranteed get an interview for these 3.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Jakevw
Hi,

Tbh you could apply to KCL, you seem like a very competitive applicant despite your Band. Your GCSEs are great and will score the total 40 points

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending