The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Anthropology and Law 2023

Hi guys, I have made this forum to see if there are other people applying for Anthro and Law!

My PS was mainly Law however I did discuss anthropological themes such as medical anthropology
and religion.
My other choices were
University of Nottingham- LLB- offer
University of Birmingham- LLB-offer
University of Exeter-LLB-offer
University of Leeds- pending

Stats:
9776666554 - maths (7) english (5- reported EC)
A level Psych - A
A level Turkish - A* - non native
BTEC Computing - D*
BTEC Business - D*
EPQ - A*
All grades are achieved
Quintile 1 postcode and average grade at my sixth form was a D.

I know my stats are not the best, especially since I did BTECS, however their website does state that they consider on a case-by-case basis if the applicant has two traditional a levels.

I applied 9 weeks ago, anyone heard anything?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous229
Hi guys, I have made this forum to see if there are other people applying for Anthro and Law!

My PS was mainly Law however I did discuss anthropological themes such as medical anthropology
and religion.
My other choices were

Stats:
A level Psych - A
BTEC Computing - D*
BTEC Business - D*
EPQ - A*
All grades are achieved

I know my stats are not the best, especially since I did BTECS, however their website does state that they consider on a case-by-case basis if the applicant has two traditional a levels.

Hey, I haven't heard anything yet either.

Stats:
GCSE: eight Grade 9s, four Grade 8s, one A*
A Level predicted grades: three A*s, one A

Other courses I applied for:
Law at UCL, Bristol + Durham
Human, Social and Political Sciences (HSPS) at Cambridge

My personal statement went something like this:
Para 1/intro - compared social/legal issues in the UK and Jamaica (as part Jamaican) which I guess has anthropological links
Para 2 - crime from a legal angle then from a sociological angle
Para 3 - started with an anthropological point which was basically about Western double standards then talked about free speech/human rights but not really from an anthropological perspective

Basically, my PS has quite a few sociological links (for the sake of HSPS at Cam) which LSE may or may not give me the benefit of the doubt for considering sociology and anth are quite similar

I live in a Quintile 2 area for low progression to higher education but go to a grammar school

Hopefully they get back to us soon although I've heard they like to take their time. LSE would probably be my second choice after Cam if I get in. While my grades are good, I've heard that they don't really care what you get as long as it's past the entry requirements. Apparently their decision largely comes down to your PS/if they think you truly have a passion for anth
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Anonymous229

and religion.
My other choices were

Stats:
A level Psych - A
BTEC Computing - D*
BTEC Business - D*
EPQ - A*
All grades are achieved

Oh and ty for making this thread btw. Literally been waiting for someone to make one since I applied
Original post by Anonymous
Oh and ty for making this thread btw. Literally been waiting for someone to make one since I applied

Hey, I haven't heard anything yet either.

Stats:
GCSE: eight Grade 9s, four Grade 8s, one A*
A Level predicted grades: three A*s, one A

Other courses I applied for:
Law at UCL, Bristol + Durham
Human, Social and Political Sciences (HSPS) at Cambridge

My personal statement went something like this:
Para 1/intro - compared social/legal issues in the UK and Jamaica (as part Jamaican) which I guess has anthropological links
Para 2 - crime from a legal angle then from a sociological angle
Para 3 - started with an anthropological point which was basically about Western double standards then talked about free speech/human rights but not really from an anthropological perspective

Basically, my PS has quite a few sociological links (for the sake of HSPS at Cam) which LSE may or may not give me the benefit of the doubt for considering sociology and anth are quite similar

I live in a Quintile 2 area for low progression to higher education but go to a grammar school

Hopefully they get back to us soon although I've heard they like to take their time. LSE would probably be my second choice after Cam if I get in. While my grades are good, I've heard that they don't really care what you get as long as it's past the entry requirements. Apparently their decision largely comes down to your PS/if they think you truly have a passion for anth

Nice!!! What’s your insta so I can follow you?

Btw I know 2 people that have been rejected for Anthro and Law
has anyone heard back yet?
Hi, has anyone on this thread receive an offer so far?
Most applicant apparently received offers by mid April last year.
😭🥲 I’ve been waiting since late November, kinda going crazy I’m scared of getting rejected after 4 months of waiting although I’ve seen someone on the LSE underaged spreadsheet get rejected after me. I’ve fantasised about getting accepted so many times that I’ve internally decided I’m alr in LSE.
💔😭 I don’t know how long I can handle this wait, all my friend have gotten all their offers😫
Sorry about this rant just want to know if anyone is in the same position?!
Lmfao I meant undergraduate**
Hi, has anyone on this thread receive an offer so far?
Most applicant apparently received offers by mid April last year.
😭🥲 I’ve been waiting since late November, kinda going crazy I’m scared of getting rejected after 4 months of waiting although I’ve seen someone on the LSE underaged spreadsheet get rejected after me. I’ve fantasised about getting accepted so many times that I’ve internally decided I’m alr in LSE.
💔😭 I don’t know how long I can handle this wait, all my friend have gotten all their offers😫
Sorry about this rant just want to know if anyone is in the same position?!

i’m also getting very impatient with the wait. i just don’t understand what’s taking them so long. maybe as the anthropology and law departments are separate they finish giving out offers for those who are taking either subject on its own, before coming together to go through the anth and law applications? honestly dk. the thing that’s annoying me the most is that lse has already started giving out accom so im kind of concerned that by the time they come round to giving us offers all the good accord are gone :/
i’m also getting very impatient with the wait. i just don’t understand what’s taking them so long. maybe as the anthropology and law departments are separate they finish giving out offers for those who are taking either subject on its own, before coming together to go through the anth and law applications? honestly dk. the thing that’s annoying me the most is that lse has already started giving out accom so im kind of concerned that by the time they come round to giving us offers all the good accord are gone :/

Literally like it’s so unfair to keep us waiting and open accommodation for everyone else 🥲. I heard that first year accommodation is guaranteed, but it may not be our choice in terms of budget and living space. Which accom would u choose if you got an offer, I think I would go with passfield or carr-Saunders hall - as they are apparently a bit more of a close bubble and best of all the cheapest. ☺️
Literally like it’s so unfair to keep us waiting and open accommodation for everyone else 🥲. I heard that first year accommodation is guaranteed, but it may not be our choice in terms of budget and living space. Which accom would u choose if you got an offer, I think I would go with passfield or carr-Saunders hall - as they are apparently a bit more of a close bubble and best of all the cheapest. ☺️

yep, i'd also go for passfield for the price and community! kind of leaning towards the triple sharer room but honestly dk how to feel about that as an only child who has never had to share my space before lol. do you think you'd get a single room?
yep, i'd also go for passfield for the price and community! kind of leaning towards the triple sharer room but honestly dk how to feel about that as an only child who has never had to share my space before lol. do you think you'd get a single room?

😭omg I didn’t know they had triple rooms, I think that would be a cool experience if I was placed with people with similar interests and morals. I think I would most likely get a single room tho instead 🥲 I’m the youngest in my family and never really had my own space. But idk I might change my mind in the end😭tbh I might be getting ahead of myself since I haven’t had an offer.
Good luck to us I’m sure we will get offers since we made it this far💔💔😭!!
i think most offers come around mid april, i applied late nov and still haven’t heard back - so stressful!!
Omg I just got an offer!!!
I’m a contextual applicant so ABB
🥲I’m in utter shock rn I was fully expecting a rejection.
Hope everyone on this thread receives the same news!
Omg congratulations that gives me hope !!!

Omg congratulations!! do u mind sharing ur ps’s main argument? i’m worried abt whether i talked about anthro enough. Someone got an offer yesterday and their ps mainly consisted of history so maybe they’re not as strict abt the anthro part?
Original post by scarlettgw
Omg congratulations that gives me hope !!!

☺️☺️☺️ hope you get in too
Omg congratulations!! do u mind sharing ur ps’s main argument? i’m worried abt whether i talked about anthro enough. Someone got an offer yesterday and their ps mainly consisted of history so maybe they’re not as strict abt the anthro part?

Thank you sm 🥲☺️
In my ps discussed my parents divorce (💔 😭 a touchy subject ), I talked about the morality and philosophy of divorce and then linked that to my personal experience as a child in that situation. I also talked briefly about how the religious beliefs that oppose against divorce and I’m accustomed to are only a result of colonialism (as I’m Ghanaian). Then I linked it to British slavery and how it has affected my experience as a black woman and the guilt of being born in a country that exploited my ancestors.

I guess you could say I mixed philosophy, history in to make it more anthropology heavy. Also I take Economics, English and Art for A-level.
There’s a lot of heavy topics but I think that’s what made it personal. Hope this helps ☺️
Thank you sm 🥲☺️
In my ps discussed my parents divorce (💔 😭 a touchy subject ), I talked about the morality and philosophy of divorce and then linked that to my personal experience as a child in that situation. I also talked briefly about how the religious beliefs that oppose against divorce and I’m accustomed to are only a result of colonialism (as I’m Ghanaian). Then I linked it to British slavery and how it has affected my experience as a black woman and the guilt of being born in a country that exploited my ancestors.

I guess you could say I mixed philosophy, history in to make it more anthropology heavy. Also I take Economics, English and Art for A-level.
There’s a lot of heavy topics but I think that’s what made it personal. Hope this helps ☺️

thank you so much for replying your personal statement sounds amazing you should be very proud of yourself!! I discussed similar topics in relation to history/morality/philosophy/religious law etc so I really hope I get an offer too!!
thank you so much for replying your personal statement sounds amazing you should be very proud of yourself!! I discussed similar topics in relation to history/morality/philosophy/religious law etc so I really hope I get an offer too!!

❤️❤️❤️

yay!!! i’m so happy for you. go out and celebrate !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending