The Student Room Group

Risky to apply for 2 master's courses under differerent departments at the same uni?

Is it a good idea to apply for 2 different (although very similar in certain respects) under 2 different departments at the same university? I'd be submitting 2 (somewhat) different personal statements. Is it a matter of having a superior chance with the course I apply to first?

If it makes a difference the uni is UCL and courses are biological anthropology (anthropology department) and evolutionary biology (biological sciences). Really the courses aren't dissimilar and I think the former should really be considered a bioscience.
Original post by julian01
Is it a good idea to apply for 2 different (although very similar in certain respects) under 2 different departments at the same university? I'd be submitting 2 (somewhat) different personal statements. Is it a matter of having a superior chance with the course I apply to first?

If it makes a difference the uni is UCL and courses are biological anthropology (anthropology department) and evolutionary biology (biological sciences). Really the courses aren't dissimilar and I think the former should really be considered a bioscience.

I work in PG admissions, my general experience is that it would not affect the outcomes at all. Even if they are within the same dept, they're typically assessed on their own merits. Same with sending an application first, no difference so long as the second course is still considering applications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending