The Student Room Group

Does having excess empathy often blow up in your face?

Is it true that those with excess empathy are usually more vulnerable to exploitation in terms of human relationships?
Hiya yeah I think so, which is really sad because if you have more empathy generally means that you’re more sort of caring considerate person so ig u probably more vulnerable
Original post by ebyrne2036
Hiya yeah I think so, which is really sad because if you have more empathy generally means that you’re more sort of caring considerate person so ig u probably more vulnerable

Yes, I see what you mean. It is sometimes frustrating.
Reply 3
I think there are two types with excess empathy.

Those who are really kind hearted and don't expect anything back for their empathy. Very few in my experience - the true angels who I always hope end up with a happy ending in life

And then the vast majority who are empathetic but who expect others to treat them the same in return and who I mentally flag as slightly anxious/neurotic busybodies 😀. Ok it's probably unfair to class everyone else in this group but honestly I'd rather not have their empathy in my life!
Yes.
Makes them easy targets for freeloaders and very vulnerable to the manipulations of all manner of ill-intentioned opportunists.
Particularly the sociopathic creeps, lying predators and all types of criminals that most mainstream adults do their utmost to avoid any interaction or openly express vocal hostility towards.
Original post by AriTem
I think there are two types with excess empathy.

Those who are really kind hearted and don't expect anything back for their empathy. Very few in my experience - the true angels who I always hope end up with a happy ending in life

And then the vast majority who are empathetic but who expect others to treat them the same in return and who I mentally flag as slightly anxious/neurotic busybodies 😀. Ok it's probably unfair to class everyone else in this group but honestly I'd rather not have their empathy in my life!

I see you are right.
Potential to be exploited if empathy rolls into sympathy and you are a people pleaser. It is possible to be empathetic without being exploited.

From a psychoanlytic point of view, there are neurotic or masochistic people (and other conditions like narcissism, personality disorders) who are obsessed with their own suffering and want continual validation about their victimhood. This can cause them to be experts at emotional blackmail.

So excessively needy people may to gravitate to kind, patient people to be looked after.

Only thing is, they never stand on their own two feet, get better, they continue to be 'career' unlucky. They will suck the life out of those around them.
People all up in their feels have to be the most miserable and self centred of everyone.
Reply 8
As someone who is very empathetic, it can be very emotionally exhausting as you need to endure the struggles of others and tread in their shoes. It can also lead to people using you in order for you to understand them, hear them out and give attention...all while your feelings are being unheard or not bothered with.
Original post by Hamzie_
As someone who is very empathetic, it can be very emotionally exhausting as you need to endure the struggles of others and tread in their shoes. It can also lead to people using you in order for you to understand them, hear them out and give attention...all while your feelings are being unheard or not bothered with.

It is often the case for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending