The Student Room Group

I want to break up with my boyfriend, but I feel guilty about it.

Me and my boyfriend have been dating for over 6 months. I want to break up with him but I'm a bit unsure how to go about it because he hasn't done anything wrong, and he is a really great guy. It's just that we have some differences that I don't like, but he can't change them because it's just his personality. I feel like I don't have the urge to kiss him or do anything with him (idk how to describe it but I have a feeling that just feels "wrong"), and I often find myself preferring to hang out with my friends/family rather than him. It's difficult because also he doesn't talk to anyone else - I'm literally his only friend, but I don't want to be the cause of his isolation. It kinda feels like my reason for breaking up with him isn't "good" enough, but I just can't keep going. Any advice on how to make him understand my perspective?
Reply 1
its going to hurt like hell regardless but he'll move past it, be upfront and honest about how you're feeling. leading him on will only make the blow more devastating later. when your with the right person you shouldn't second guess your feelings
Reply 2
Original post by chad2002
its going to hurt like hell regardless but he'll move past it, be upfront and honest about how you're feeling. leading him on will only make the blow more devastating later. when your with the right person you shouldn't second guess your feelings

Yeah you're so right. I feel like I would've never had the thought of breaking up cross my mind if he was the right person. Thanks for responding.
Reply 3
Avoid a buildup period where it’s clear the writings on the wall, face to face, his place, as honest as you can without devastating his feelings, avoid clichés, listen to what he has to say. This is about as good as it gets although likely he’ll be hurt. In my experience though the worst bit was before being dumped when I knew her feelings had changed.
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
Avoid a buildup period where it’s clear the writings on the wall, face to face, his place, as honest as you can without devastating his feelings, avoid clichés, listen to what he has to say. This is about as good as it gets although likely he’ll be hurt. In my experience though the worst bit was before being dumped when I knew her feelings had changed.

Yeah, I agree about there not being a build-up period. The only reason I didn't want to break up with him straight away is because we're both in the middle of important exams and I think a breakup is the last thing we both need right now :frown: thanks for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending