The Student Room Group

anyone getting really scared about the future?

62,000 people died last year in europe and the heatwaves in europe currently have reached extreme temperatures into the 40s. I'm grateful its currently quite cold in the UK right now (but seems in august there may be a heatwave here). But I'm worried about the future, in 10 years time, it will only get warmer and its honestly scary.

With inflation, climate change, AI taking the jobs, new viruses emerging it's terrifying. I am currently at university and I just keep thinking whats the point. It really will be survival of the fittest in the future, the elite will survive and we will all die :frown:
Anxiety about the future is completely normal. Don't give up hope yet though, many of the issues you're worried about will take decades to materialise and safeguards and responses are being made for AI and the climate crisis. For example, the UKs hosting the first AI expo and wants to introduce codes of practice and others want conventions to protect human creativity and jobs. Climate anxiety will definitely exist in our age group as we're more aware of the impacts of climate change but just think of all the actions you, your mates and we can do to help reduce our impact. For example swapping single use products out, electric over petrol cars and such. If this worry is lingering there's help out there to help you manage. Even something like discussion groups or counselling. Hope you feel less worrysome, Winter.

Quick Reply

Latest