The Student Room Group

work experience references

Does anyone know if work experience references are required to be submitted for applying this year for Nottingham, Surrey or Bristol undergrad vetmed. Doesn't look like it reading admissions statements.
Reply 1
Surrey definitely require references and are VERY picky about them! Surrey have used the layout of references to decline people on results day despite meeting the grades so be very careful.
Nottingham and Bristol both do not require references x
Reply 2
I understand work experience is nolonger a requirement by Surrey University this year : 'A requirement for veterinary work experience is NO longer required at the School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Surrey.' as stated in entry requirements this year. So no references either.
Reply 3
Original post by Bryska200
I understand work experience is nolonger a requirement by Surrey University this year : 'A requirement for veterinary work experience is NO longer required at the School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Surrey.' as stated in entry requirements this year. So no references either.

My bad, that’s really interesting considering how much emphasis they have put on it the last few years!
Reply 4
Yes it is interesting how they have gone from one extreme to the other! It is a much more reasonable and thought through entry requirement now.
Yes it is interesting how they have gone from one extreme to the other! It is a much more reasonable and thought through entry requirement now.

Personally I’d argue 4 weeks of work experience isn’t exactly difficult to get and key to ensuring you actually want to get into the stressful profession with the high drop out and suicide rates. I do think Surrey was a bit OTT with their references but I don’t agree with the unis getting rid of work experience requirements and I’m actually quite worried about the future of the profession with this going ahead. Work experience is still important, that’s what you will talk about in forms and interviews and thus essentially what makes up you getting an offer.
Reply 6
Work experience is definitely important and Surrey make it clear that it is beneficial for students to have undertaken this before starting the course. I doubt there would be any students who would not be undertaking some kind of animal related work experience as thy need to be in a good position to answer SAQs, interviews and write a convincing Personal Statement so they can get offers anyway as well as establishing whether the career is for them.
Does anyone know if work experience references are required to be submitted for applying this year for Nottingham, Surrey or Bristol undergrad vetmed. Doesn't look like it reading admissions statements.

Hello,

You're correct, work experience references are no longer required for the University of Surrey's School of Veterinary Medicine. Instead, they have introduced an online questionnaire as part of the shortlisting process. However, it's still encouraged for candidates to gain some animal-related work experience if they are offered a place, as it can provide valuable insights into the profession and help students better understand the demands of veterinary medicine. This additional experience can be beneficial, although it's not a strict requirement for application.

Hope that helps and best of luck 😊

Best wishes,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology

I applied to Bristol through VMCAS and added my experience in the application there. I applied to Nottingham through UCAS and they sent me an external link asking for work experience
Reply 9
For nottingham did you submit the references on the NottinghamHub application form?
Original post by emmakellyusa
I applied to Bristol through VMCAS and added my experience in the application there. I applied to Nottingham through UCAS and they sent me an external link asking for work experience
Original post by esel05
For nottingham did you submit the references on the NottinghamHub application form?

no
Reply 11
What link was it?
Original post by emmakellyusa
no
Original post by ALEreapp
Surrey definitely require references and are VERY picky about them! Surrey have used the layout of references to decline people on results day despite meeting the grades so be very careful.
Nottingham and Bristol both do not require references x

What do you mean they’ve declined because of the layout? Do you mean because of the way the references were worded?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending