The Student Room Group

Further maths for Comp Sci

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by vnayak
It's not a jump? 😂😂 Are you insane?! So you're telling me that getting an A* in Further Maths is easy if you get a grade 9 at GCSE? I think my entire Further Maths set is evidence proving you wrong (we all got grade 9s at GCSE and only a couple of us actually got an A star in our mock - everyone else got an A or a B). The Maths covered is indeed different but by no means is it not a massive jump - you severely underestimate its difficulty. There are people struggling to bridge the gap between GCSE Maths and A level Maths in my year and we are 2 months from exams. In our mocks we had a couple of weeks ago, the average mark for Normal A level Maths was 48%, which was brought up significantly by the people doing Further Maths (which is around 20).
Further Maths is definitely doable but to get that A or A*, a lot of time, energy and effort will be required in comparison to some of the other A levels in my opinion.

I took it that he meant between Maths and Further Maths not between GCSE Maths and Further Maths.

The fact is though that nobody really knows how they will deal with the step up from GCSEs. Those that did well at GCSE Maths usually have an easier progression than those taking other subjects. Maths tends to be one of those areas where you either get it or you don't. Those that do will fly through it. I see no reason why those who have a real interest in Maths (outside GCSE) should not take Further Maths. In fact I think schools should encourage it.

My son took Further Maths in year 13 with one other person, the 1st year the school had taught it, and he got an A*. If a lazy sob like my son can do it in one year then I'm sure others can do it in 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending