The Student Room Group

2024 Budget: Chancellor Jeremy Hunt under pressure to cut taxes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Giveaways mean that debt to GDP will remain above 90%.

Chancellor justifying it relative to the G7 but it only shows how horrific everybody's fiscal approach is.

Fiscal deficit will fall to 1.2%. One suspects that without giveaways we could have a surplus.

Thanks for getting all that, I always struggle to keep up with this section! :lol:
OBR forecast accelerating growth this year and next, peaking at 2.2% in 2026.
Original post by Rakas21
When you go on UC you can basically request an advance and take it of your payments afterwards. Rather than extending, they should be taking measures to stop people on UC taking on debt.

They give you an advance because it generally takes 5-6 weeks to get a payment (even people who work) and pretty much all bills are monthly. They should solve this issue by getting their **** together and processing claims faster so that claimants aren't put in a position where they need to borrow rather than making it harder for people.
Since 2012 our economy has grown quicker than Germany, France and Italy, and will continue to do so in the next 5 years.

Growth is expected to be 0.8% this year, and 1.9% next year.
(edited 1 month ago)
Nothing substantial so far, just lots of gaslighting about the Conservative record over the last 14 years.
Original post by StriderHort
They give you an advance because it generally takes 5-6 weeks to get a payment (even people who work) and pretty much all bills are monthly. They should solve this issue by getting their **** together and processing claims faster so that claimants aren't put in a position where they need to borrow rather than making it harder for people.

While I agree, apparently the loans can also be used for things such as emergency boiler repairs etc, so they do have value even after the person is getting their UC.
(edited 1 month ago)
Government measures since Sunak came to power may be increasing business investment which is good for long run productivity.

Perhaps a hidden success story.

Highest business investment in Europe.
Steps to boost investment:

Full expensing to apply to leased assets

£200m to extend the recovery loans scheme

VAT registration threshold to increase from £85,000 to £90,000

(edited 1 month ago)
More devolution to areas.
Chancellor listing the target seats. Somebody in Lab will be going over those when they watch this again later.
Original post by CatusStarbright
While I agree, apparently the loans can also be used for things such as emergency boiler repairs etc, so they do have value even after the person is getting their UC.

That would be a different type of loan

You are able to apply for a specific advance at the start of your claim and then only. You can also apply for a budgeting loan/advance for specific things which is what I think you're talking about and has slightly different criteria (6 months + minimum claim, less than £2000 wages in last few months and a max of £350 I think)
'Levelling up':

A 'North-east trailblazer devolution deal'

Devolved powers to Buckinghamshire, Warwickshire and Surrey

£100m to areas such as Dundee, High Peak, etc.

Capital projects in places such as Bingley

£20m to places such as Darlington for community regeneration

£500m to renovate village halls

Funding for the spaceport in Shetland

(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by StriderHort
That would be a different type of loan

You are able to apply for a specific advance at the start of your claim and then only. You can also apply for a budgeting loan/advance for specific things which is what I think you're talking about and has slightly different criteria (6 months + minimum claim, less than £2000 wages in last few months and a max of £350 I think)

Yes, it's the budgeting advance loan we're talking about.
(edited 1 month ago)
Government has purchased 2 nuclear sites.
Double the number of start ups of any other European states.
(edited 1 month ago)
NatWest sale.
British only ISA 25k limit.
Steps to attract investment in technology industries:

New powers to the FCA and pensions regulator

Measures to make it easier for pension funds to invest

More NatWest shares to be sold

Considering how people can transfer their pension when they move employer

Reform to ISA system - new British ISA allowing an additional £5,000 investment on top of existing ISA allowances

UK studio space will be second only to the US.

Visual effects tax cut.
Theatre tax relief.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending