The Student Room Group

How do I get maximum form minimum maintenance loan?

Hey, I’m looking for an answer regarding my student finance loan for the year 2023-2024. Overall, my application was approved kinda late already and seems like they have decided that I will get only the minimum loan. I’m getting worried because my household income is way more less than 60k a year and I am living by myself, my rent is 650£ and I am working only 4 days a week and I will need to cut one of than so I can go to the university. I am supporting myself, I’m not living with parents, I’ve told them that I’m living in a flat that my uncle rented for me but he’s not helping me financially. How should I act if I really need the maximum student finance loan? Thank you!
Original post by Rebbz
Hey, I’m looking for an answer regarding my student finance loan for the year 2023-2024. Overall, my application was approved kinda late already and seems like they have decided that I will get only the minimum loan. I’m getting worried because my household income is way more less than 60k a year and I am living by myself, my rent is 650£ and I am working only 4 days a week and I will need to cut one of than so I can go to the university. I am supporting myself, I’m not living with parents, I’ve told them that I’m living in a flat that my uncle rented for me but he’s not helping me financially. How should I act if I really need the maximum student finance loan? Thank you!

When did you submit your household income information?
That takes longer to be assessed than the minimum loan award.
Have you spoken to your university about accessing hardship funding?
Original post by Rebbz

Hi there. If you are under 25 we would use your parent/s income to assess for the higher loan, even if you are not living with them. Have you indicated on the application you wish to apply for the higher loan?

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 3
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. If you are under 25 we would use your parent/s income to assess for the higher loan, even if you are not living with them. Have you indicated on the application you wish to apply for the higher loan?

Thanks, Leah.

Yes, I’ve mentioned that I’m an 23 yo independent adult and that I’m not being helped in any way financially by anyone form my family and I remember asking them for the maximum loan but seems like only the minimum has been approved to me. Shall I contact the SFE one more time and try to explain the situation one more time?
Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
When did you submit your household income information?
That takes longer to be assessed than the minimum loan award.
Have you spoken to your university about accessing hardship funding?

I haven’t started yet, I will start on the 31st or January and I will try to find some answers in that day, but I just wanna know if it’s possible to request the maximum one more time?
Original post by Rebbz
I haven’t started yet, I will start on the 31st or January and I will try to find some answers in that day, but I just wanna know if it’s possible to request the maximum one more time?

When did you submit your household income information/evidence that you are independent?
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
When did you submit your household income information/evidence that you are independent?

In December 2023
Original post by Rebbz
In December 2023

It takes 6-8 weeks for that to be processed usually
Hi there, I do see your query has been answered. Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason
Reply 9
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, I do see your query has been answered. Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Hey there, yes I am still curious if this is just an emergency loan until my house hold is getting a proper calculation or if I need to make another request for sfe
Original post by Rebbz
Hey there, yes I am still curious if this is just an emergency loan until my house hold is getting a proper calculation or if I need to make another request for sfe

Hi there,

We base the Maintenance Loan off the parental income if you are under 25 even if you do not live with them. If you have a low amount of Maintenance Loan approved it will be due to a high income declared to us by your parents. What date did you send the Household income to us? Is this your first year at university or have you studied previously? Thanks, Ross
Reply 11
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,

We base the Maintenance Loan off the parental income if you are under 25 even if you do not live with them. If you have a low amount of Maintenance Loan approved it will be due to a high income declared to us by your parents. What date did you send the Household income to us? Is this your first year at university or have you studied previously? Thanks, Ross

That’s my first year and I can’t seed anything about my family’s income because they are not living in the uk
Hi there. Even if your parent's are overseas, we still need their income to assess for the higher Maintenance Loan. We would also require their financial evidence for the 21/22 tax year. If the tax year in their country runs from January to January, this would be 2021.

We would only class you as an independent student if you are under 25, and indicated you have been financially supporting yourself for 3 years prior to the start of your course and you can provide evidence of this e.g. P60's. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending