The Student Room Group

2024 Budget: Chancellor Jeremy Hunt under pressure to cut taxes

Scroll to see replies

Proposed child benefit changes are good and long overdue.
Child benefit changes:

Threshold for child benefit withdrawal to move to a household-based system from 2026

Threshold raised to £60,000 from £50,000

Top of the taper raised to £80,000

(edited 1 month ago)
Employee NI to be cut another 2p from 10% to 8%, self-employed cut from 8% to 6%, as of 6 April (as we expected to hear).
(edited 1 month ago)
Expected/welcome cut to NI but ignoring income tax thresholds again?
Employee NI cut to 8%.
Self Employed cut to 6%.

200,000 more employed as a result.

Long term ambition is to abolish NI however it's worth saying that Osbourne referenced this about a decade ago.
Original post by Gazpacho.

Can only choose one and it's cheaper.

Albeit I do agree with you that thresholds would be better.
A lot of tinkering, okay overall.
SNP have weirdly called a vote on the budget resolution, something that normally happens on the nod to allow Starmer to speak.

Tories having to vote Aye to say budget has ended, Lab Abstain, so very pointless.
It's quite amusing that the Tories have chosen to scrap the non-dom regime, which was going to be Labour's way of financing their spending commitments. Hunt is instead using it on tax cuts which will leave Labour searching for a new source of funding.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I personally disagree with this. I’d like the rich to pay their taxes first (crackdown on tax loopholes and dodging) before we tax them more.
I forgot about that, I'll be honest but that is probably a better idea
Yes, it's a scorched earth approach.

Brown did similar before he went. Waited until a month before the election to raise income tax to 50% and then hammer them for scrapping it. Likewise, he signed up to a bunch of spending stuff that Osbourne had to deal with.
Original post by CatusStarbright
It's quite amusing that the Tories have chosen to scrap the non-dom regime, which was going to be Labour's way of financing their spending commitments. Hunt is instead using it on tax cuts which will leave Labour searching for a new source of funding.

There was also going to be an element of causing grief for Labour.

It follows on from the previous public sector cuts to kick in next year.
Factual but meh statement from Starmer thus far. These things are better when you have somebody who can think on their feet and doesn't sound pre-prepared.

I think it was the 06 budget I saw on BBC parliament not long ago and Cameron's smackdown on Brown was 'Your an analogue chancellor in a digital world'.
Now to await the IFS summary.
Original post by Gazpacho.

Yuh-huh, you didn't expect a seriously meaningful tax cut, did you? :tongue:
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Yuh-huh, you didn't expect a seriously meaningful tax cut, did you? :tongue:

It's going to ensure I keep an extra £505 next year (according to the Telegraph's calculator), so I'll take it! :tongue:
Abolition of the current tax system for 'non-doms'. From April 2025, new arrivals will not pay any tax on foreign income and gains for the first four years. After four years, they will pay the same as UK taxpayers.

This will raise £2.7bn a year.
should pay it straight away. Half measures as always.
Original post by Rakas21
Employee NI cut to 8%.
Self Employed cut to 6%.

200,000 more employed as a result.

Long term ambition is to abolish NI however it's worth saying that Osbourne referenced this about a decade ago.
I doubt the tax cut will be meaningful at all to anyone, nor mean that 200,000 more will be employed as a result.
It's going to ensure I keep an extra £505 next year (according to the Telegraph's calculator), so I'll take it! :tongue:

The last one made such little impact in my monthly pay that I don't even remember noticing it coming in :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending