The Student Room Group

2024 Budget: Chancellor Jeremy Hunt under pressure to cut taxes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saracen's Fez
The last one made such little impact in my monthly pay that I don't even remember noticing it coming in :lol:
It's about £20 for me I think. I always check my payslip whenever we get emailed to say it's available and noticed the difference then.
I see defence spending is cut.

Any Conservative want to explain why this is a good idea?
Original post by Gazpacho.

According to Shapps it does not include new money announced afterwards and that defense spending rose by £1.4bn. Albeit a loss of £2.5bn or rise of £1.4bn is basically a rounding error.

Worth saying that both are bad, we need a substantial increase given the likelyhood of further conflict with Russia be that direct or indirect.
Original post by Gazpacho.

We could defend ourselves on a budget with outsourcing.

What's the Rwandan equivalent of Gurkas? we could exploit them for a while.
The Conservatives have decided to introduce new tax cuts to remove Labour's fiscal headroom and try and force them into making unfunded spending pledges.

That's why the chancellor and his ministers are now going around talking about *checks notes* abolishing National Insurance altogether: https://news.sky.com/story/tory-plan-to-abolish-national-insurance-will-cost-more-than-liz-truss-mini-budget-labour-13088790
Original post by Saracen's Fez
The Conservatives have decided to introduce new tax cuts to remove Labour's fiscal headroom and try and force them into making unfunded spending pledges.
That's why the chancellor and his ministers are now going around talking about *checks notes* abolishing National Insurance altogether: https://news.sky.com/story/tory-plan-to-abolish-national-insurance-will-cost-more-than-liz-truss-mini-budget-labour-13088790

Well why would you even want a pension when you can work forever?
Original post by Rakas21
According to Shapps it does not include new money announced afterwards and that defense spending rose by £1.4bn. Albeit a loss of £2.5bn or rise of £1.4bn is basically a rounding error.
Worth saying that both are bad, we need a substantial increase given the likelyhood of further conflict with Russia be that direct or indirect.

You recognise the need for military spending but then you endorse the political party that has undermined the British military over the last 14 years.

You also endorse the very same political party that has created the economic conditions that makes it difficult to increase military spending.

This is what confounds me about loyal Conservative supporters. No matter how much harm the Conservatives inflict on Britain, they get your vote.
(edited 1 month ago)
The three post-budget polls have the Conservatives on 18%, 20% and 23%.

We are now in Liz Truss territory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending