The Student Room Group

Exploring law conference

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stud89
Yes, I havent heard anything about accommodation as well. I sent an email today to ask about it, but curious to know if anyone else has received information about accommodation.
Also, I was hoping to receive detailed program schedule for the days of the conference.

I got an email this morning about the schedule, but from what I've heard, nobody has heard about accommodation. It's so silly that they're leaving it so late this year
Original post by erin11
Im not sure about parking as I travelled independently by train.
You don't have to bring your laptop, but I do recommend it and most people used laptops during lectures - if you prefer to use pen and paper for lectures, thats also fine :smile:
For accommodation, you will be randomly allocated to a college (I was at St Catherines) and we all had individual rooms

Are all the colleges in the same area?
Original post by jesslouisse
Pretty much, all were pretty central colleges - St Catz, Emmanuel and 2 others that I can’t remember aha
Original post by peachymuffin
I got an email this morning about the schedule, but from what I've heard, nobody has heard about accommodation. It's so silly that they're leaving it so late this year

Cambridge university term ends on Friday 21st, so their students will be vacating their rooms this weekend and some may choose to keep their room over the Easter break.
I guess colleges wouldn’t know which rooms will be available until closer to the time.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Cambridge university term ends on Friday 21st, so their students will be vacating their rooms this weekend and some may choose to keep their room over the Easter break.
I guess colleges wouldn’t know which rooms will be available until closer to the time.

Oh alright, that makes sense. But wouldn't the students have to explicitly tell the colleges beforehand if they'll be keeping their rooms for whatever reason? Because I know Cambridge usually tells all the students to vacate for any of the holidays, taking their stuff with them.
Reply 25
Dependant on the college, students only need to provide a few days notice if they are not vacating their rooms during Xmas or Easter holidays.
I guess with 250 delegates to accommodate next week as close to law faculty as possible, there’s a lot of organisation to be undertaken by their housing team. Not to mention thousands of students vacating .
Original post by hnn2210
Dependant on the college, students only need to provide a few days notice if they are not vacating their rooms during Xmas or Easter holidays.
I guess with 250 delegates to accommodate next week as close to law faculty as possible, there’s a lot of organisation to be undertaken by their housing team. Not to mention thousands of students vacating .
Ohh is that how many are coming next week 250?
Original post by peachymuffin
I emailed them and I was told we would receive more news about accommodation today!
Original post by hicweondksc
I emailed them and I was told we would receive more news about accommodation today!

Oo hopefully!!
Original post by hnn2210

Yeah that's understandable, must be a lot of hard work ☺️
Original post by erin11
Pretty much, all were pretty central colleges - St Catz, Emmanuel and 2 others that I can’t remember aha

Are rooms warm, blanket warm enough?
Are we supposed to take our own pillow, duvet, bedsheets etc?
Original post by crude-ferment
Are we supposed to take our own pillow, duvet, bedsheets etc?

No, you will be staying in a vacated college room with a bed etc already
Original post by erin11
No, you will be staying in a vacated college room with a bed etc already

But we take towel, toiletries, shower gel etc?
Original post by crude-ferment
But we take towel, toiletries, shower gel etc?

correct
Reply 35
What type of clothes will we wear?
Original post by JKBA_11
What type of clothes will we wear?

Any casual wear throughout the day, but in the evening, something formal as we're apparently doing some mock trials ☺️
Original post by hicweondksc
I managed to get a place on the Cambridge Exploring law conference. It's a residential so I would miss 4 days of school but this could be really good for my application. I'm worried because I can't find any reviews of the experience.
Could anyone give me advice? Should I go or not?

Heyy so did I, what college are you in? I'm in St Catharine's haha
I hope that the course is interesting, and I hope that all attending enjoy the experience of living and studying in a Cambridge college.

If you have not already read "The Rule of Law" by Tom Bingham, now might be a good time to do so. Also, any recent extra-judicial writings on law, the Constitution, and so on by Stephen Sedley and Jonathan Sumption are worth a look. For example, Sumption's introduction to the Bill of Rights 1689 is a good read.

If you wished to read a case or three, I would suggest -

(1) R on the application of Miller v The Prime Minister (2019)

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2019-0192.html

(2) Carlill v The Carbolic Smoke Ball Company Limited (1892)

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/1892/1.html

(3) Donoghue v Stevenson (1932)

https://www.scottishlawreports.org.uk/resources/donoghue-v-stevenson/case-report/

I hope that you are all having fun. Good luck with your future studies.

Miss S Byng MA (Oxon), barrister.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by jesslouisse

As you may have seen by now, Cambridge is a small city, and most of the colleges, faculties and libraries are within easy walking or cycling distance of one another. I add that Oxford is a bigger city, but not a huge city, and, again, most of its colleges and most of its faculties, libraries etc are within a short walk or cycle of one another.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending