The Student Room Group

Access course part time

I'm looking at doing an access course this September, however with work its looking like I will have to do an evening course. The day time course of the same qualification is 15hours per week, whilst the evening course is only 7 hours per week. How is this worked out? Is the day course more in depth? Are you expected to do more independent study with the evening course?
Has anyone done an evening or part time access to He course, how did you find it?
Thank you.
Original post by Dreamsandwishes
I'm looking at doing an access course this September, however with work its looking like I will have to do an evening course. The day time course of the same qualification is 15hours per week, whilst the evening course is only 7 hours per week. How is this worked out? Is the day course more in depth? Are you expected to do more independent study with the evening course?
Has anyone done an evening or part time access to He course, how did you find it?
Thank you.
Hi, I’m currently doing the access science course and doing the 15 hours daytime. First of all it is an extremely intensive course, although I’m at college 15 hours a week I do a lot more studying outside of the course than that. It’s hit its peak of work at the moment with 6 assignments this month alone. I don’t want to put you off just to give an idea of how much work it is. On the whole I’ve really enjoyed the course with physics being my strongest subject. I’m guessing the 7 hours part time is reliant on you doing a lot of self directed study so you will have to be able to make time to be able to do it. I have done 3 open book exams, 2 presentations and several essay/workbook assignments. The final part of the course will be 3 closed book exams. This will be different for you depending on which course you are doing and which college/provider you choose. Also if it’s part time you might be doing it over 2 years rather than one. Hope you find the right choice for you.
Original post by KazStudies
Hi, I’m currently doing the access science course and doing the 15 hours daytime. First of all it is an extremely intensive course, although I’m at college 15 hours a week I do a lot more studying outside of the course than that. It’s hit its peak of work at the moment with 6 assignments this month alone. I don’t want to put you off just to give an idea of how much work it is. On the whole I’ve really enjoyed the course with physics being my strongest subject. I’m guessing the 7 hours part time is reliant on you doing a lot of self directed study so you will have to be able to make time to be able to do it. I have done 3 open book exams, 2 presentations and several essay/workbook assignments. The final part of the course will be 3 closed book exams. This will be different for you depending on which course you are doing and which college/provider you choose. Also if it’s part time you might be doing it over 2 years rather than one. Hope you find the right choice for you.
Thank you for your reply that's very helpful.. I'm currently studying GCSE science and really enjoying it, it fascinates me. My college does offer a science access course but I do think this would be too difficult for me, and I'm opting for a health and social care option instead. The course is only for 1 year, so I suspect you are right in saying its will contain a large amount of self study. I do wonder how motivated I would be and wonder if postponing for a year may be a better option.
Do you receive you exam results straight away or do you only find out when you get your overall grade at the end of the course?
Thank you.
@Dreamsandwishes

Hello! I've taught on an Access to HE program for over 10 years, there is some great advice here already. I have known several evening programs that have less classroom hours (there is typically no tutorial where people get 1 2 1 academic support, assistance with filling in details of the ungraded development units, and support with UCAS applications etc.)

The key question you need to ask the co-ordinator to make sure is - does the evening course have the same number of credits as the daytime program.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Thank you for your reply that's very helpful.. I'm currently studying GCSE science and really enjoying it, it fascinates me. My college does offer a science access course but I do think this would be too difficult for me, and I'm opting for a health and social care option instead. The course is only for 1 year, so I suspect you are right in saying its will contain a large amount of self study. I do wonder how motivated I would be and wonder if postponing for a year may be a better option.
Do you receive you exam results straight away or do you only find out when you get your overall grade at the end of the course?

You find out your grades for each unit as you go after each assignment has been assessed, you get the overall grade at the end. For me so far I have 18 distinctions. The health and social option is really good if you are planning to go into the healthcare sector, it’s human biology, psychology (which is a really difficult subject in my opinion as it’s so heavily memory and essay based)and health and social care. Good luck with your choices it’s definitely worth it in the end
Reply 5
You find out your grades for each unit as you go after each assignment has been assessed, you get the overall grade at the end. For me so far I have 18 distinctions. The health and social option is really good if you are planning to go into the healthcare sector, it’s human biology, psychology (which is a really difficult subject in my opinion as it’s so heavily memory and essay based)and health and social care. Good luck with your choices it’s definitely worth it in the end

Hey, can I ask what Access course you are taking? Online, or you are attending college?I am planning to improve my grades…
Original post by agnuze
Hey, can I ask what Access course you are taking? Online, or you are attending college?I am planning to improve my grades…

I’m doing access to science (physics, chemistry and biology) and attending college full time (15 hours a week). I find face to face tuition better than online but that’s me 😊
Reply 7
I’m doing access to science (physics, chemistry and biology) and attending college full time (15 hours a week). I find face to face tuition better than online but that’s me 😊

Thank you. I have done Access To HE at college last year, however this time would try to avoid maths and physics at all cost 😅
Thank you.

Hello @Dreamsandwishes,

It's great to see you've already received a lot of really useful advice about your course!

Having read your post, I think our blog about balancing work and study might also be a helpful resource for you. It has lots of tips for managing your time which might help you prepare for your course 😊 - https://bit.ly/3PgRZ9z I hope that this helps!

Good luck!

Becky
Original post by agnuze
Thank you. I have done Access To HE at college last year, however this time would try to avoid maths and physics at all cost 😅
ah, I did gcse maths only last summer so that’s why I’m ok with it. But I totally get why you don’t want to do it 😂. Good luck with your next course I’m sure you’ll be fine
Reply 10
ah, I did gcse maths only last summer so that’s why I’m ok with it. But I totally get why you don’t want to do it 😂. Good luck with your next course I’m sure you’ll be fine

Thank you.Same to you🤗

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending