The Student Room Group

Access course- which one?

Hi, I’m hoping to do paramedic science next year and to boost my application I have decided to do an online access course with the distance learning centre. Firstly does anyone have any reviews on the distance learning centre and secondly would it be better to do an access to paramedicine or healthcare. Sounds like an obvious choice right? But I’m thinking that if I don’t get into paramedic science this year then I’ll go through clearing for another aspect. Thanks
Hey Lucy,

Firstly I recommend joining a Facebook group called 'So you want to be a Paramedic?', there is loads of people in the same boat as you, asking similar questions and everyone is really friendly about helping you get into the profession.

I've heard a lot of good about the Access to Paramedicine Via distance learning, as yes, it does give a more specific learning course to a university course in Paramedic science, and it does show you're able to learn on your own accord. If it Paramedicine you want to study and you're confident that you'll be able to keep a consistent workload online, it may be a good choice. However you do raise a good point, if you're on the edge of paramedicine (Or in general want to have a solid backup) Then an Access to HE (Either Healthcare or Science) is a good choice also, you get more involved with the subject and meet new people along the way, they help you with other topics like IT skills and communication which, while they're boring, tend to be really helpful in the long run.

I myself did an Access to HE science diploma (As I prefer science as a whole and biology is very relevant to *most* healthcare subjects.) It was a great experience and I would recommend that route to anyone with a desire into university courses.

Hope you found this somewhat useful, wish you all the best.
Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
My recommendation would be to contact the university and speak to the course to see which access course would be most beneficial for you to study. Also try to speak to previous students of both access courses and the uni course and see what they say.
Hi - I've just finished an Access to HE course with the Distance Learning Centre. My course was for Physiotherapy and was a split between Biology and Psychology units (with more weighting to Biology). It was challenging in parts, but interesting and rewarding. You definitely need to have a bit of self motivation and be comfortable with taking charge of your own learning as you wont be spoon fed. My two tutors were always available to answer questions, but I didn't have much interaction with them and just got on with it. Others do make more use of the tutors who can go over and explain things to you. There is also a pretty active Facebook group where students chat with each other and answer each others' questions.
Reply 4
Original post by martind44
Hi - I've just finished an Access to HE course with the Distance Learning Centre. My course was for Physiotherapy and was a split between Biology and Psychology units (with more weighting to Biology). It was challenging in parts, but interesting and rewarding. You definitely need to have a bit of self motivation and be comfortable with taking charge of your own learning as you wont be spoon fed. My two tutors were always available to answer questions, but I didn't have much interaction with them and just got on with it. Others do make more use of the tutors who can go over and explain things to you. There is also a pretty active Facebook group where students chat with each other and answer each others' questions.

Hey,

I've had a look at my modules for Access to HE Paramedicine with the DLC (Due to start 1/7) and it seems to be mainly Biology and Psychology too. Do you mind me asking how long it took you to complete the course and if you were working or not? I'm going to try and work full time and try and complete the course by the end of April in 22'... think that's achievable?
Original post by .Mark
Hey,

I've had a look at my modules for Access to HE Paramedicine with the DLC (Due to start 1/7) and it seems to be mainly Biology and Psychology too. Do you mind me asking how long it took you to complete the course and if you were working or not? I'm going to try and work full time and try and complete the course by the end of April in 22'... think that's achievable?

It took me just over a year. I started a new job midway through which has been pretty busy and caused me to slow down a bit. Your timescale is definitely doable. I've seen quite a few people do in in 4-5 months whilst working. There also seem to be a lot of people doing the courses who have kids and also work.
Reply 6
It took me just over a year. I started a new job midway through which has been pretty busy and caused me to slow down a bit. Your timescale is definitely doable. I've seen quite a few people do in in 4-5 months whilst working. There also seem to be a lot of people doing the courses who have kids and also work.

Jeeez,4-5 months? They must have sat at a desk studying for 12 hours a day lol. Thanks for your answer though, it's appreciated! Think I'm going to try the full time first - for the extra money ofcourse - and if I'm struggling then I'll reduce my hours to suit DLC a little more.
Reply 7

Hi wondering if i could chat to you about the remaining units i have left?
Reply 8
Original post by Lucycox124
Hi, I’m hoping to do paramedic science next year and to boost my application I have decided to do an online access course with the distance learning centre. Firstly does anyone have any reviews on the distance learning centre and secondly would it be better to do an access to paramedicine or healthcare. Sounds like an obvious choice right? But I’m thinking that if I don’t get into paramedic science this year then I’ll go through clearing for another aspect. Thanks

Hi I’m mature student thinking of signing up to start as I wanting to complete by end of next year as I’ve looked at other access Paramedicine and the other is only part time distance learning and takes over 12 months to complete and I was to be able to complete and. Apply for uni 2024 did u do the course and if u did how was it overall ? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending