The Student Room Group

as level chemistry help

i study biology chemistry and maths and i’m in year 12. i’m predicted AAA and achieving that in both biology and maths. however, for chemistry i’ve been stuck on a c.
i regularly do exam questions and also anki flash cards for my content. however, every time i do a test I always mess it up somehow.

are there any tips or ideas as to what i’m doing wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by gr4ceajay1
i study biology chemistry and maths and i’m in year 12. i’m predicted AAA and achieving that in both biology and maths. however, for chemistry i’ve been stuck on a c.
i regularly do exam questions and also anki flash cards for my content. however, every time i do a test I always mess it up somehow.
are there any tips or ideas as to what i’m doing wrong?

for y12 don't stress too much on topic tests - sounds weird but believe me don't get hung up on it. the end of year/mock exams are the ones that matter. as long as you know where you're going wrong and what to revise for next time then you're absolutely fine. i was in the same place last year getting C/D in chem all year now i'm getting an A because i've narrowed down what i need to work on (for me its calculations) and purely focused on that.

also y13 brings all your y12 knowledge into place (might not seem it but trust me) it all falls into place as soon as you learn more content

basically as long as you know where you're going wrong and are doing flashcards (anki is fine yes or quizlet whatever works for you) and past papers then you'll be absolutely fine and good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by user1251
for y12 don't stress too much on topic tests - sounds weird but believe me don't get hung up on it. the end of year/mock exams are the ones that matter. as long as you know where you're going wrong and what to revise for next time then you're absolutely fine. i was in the same place last year getting C/D in chem all year now i'm getting an A because i've narrowed down what i need to work on (for me its calculations) and purely focused on that.
also y13 brings all your y12 knowledge into place (might not seem it but trust me) it all falls into place as soon as you learn more content
basically as long as you know where you're going wrong and are doing flashcards (anki is fine yes or quizlet whatever works for you) and past papers then you'll be absolutely fine and good luck :smile:
hi, i know this is off topic but do you have any advice for revising chem and end of year exams? I've been doing well in my end of topic tests but i didn't do too well in my mid year mock and i really want to do well in my end of year exam.
Reply 3
Original post by rxnia
hi, i know this is off topic but do you have any advice for revising chem and end of year exams? I've been doing well in my end of topic tests but i didn't do too well in my mid year mock and i really want to do well in my end of year exam.

make a spreadsheet/table/excel whatever works with each topic down the left in rows and then for headings do a confidence number out of ten, a yes/no box if you've made flashcards for, the same for notes, past papers and formula sheets/mind maps or whatever else you use (i'll try attach a ss of mine)

use this every day and try to get all those numbers at a 7 or above and you'll be fine

honestly it is just a thing of practicing then recording all your practice and progress somewhere so you know what to work on (so my plan for the next 2 weeks is making sure i've got flashcards + a mindmap for each topic done then i can move on to purely past paper practice

uploaded the template here: https://ibb.co/kgdfLv1

Reply 4
make a spreadsheet/table/excel whatever works with each topic down the left in rows and then for headings do a confidence number out of ten, a yes/no box if you've made flashcards for, the same for notes, past papers and formula sheets/mind maps or whatever else you use (i'll try attach a ss of mine)
use this every day and try to get all those numbers at a 7 or above and you'll be fine
honestly it is just a thing of practicing then recording all your practice and progress somewhere so you know what to work on (so my plan for the next 2 weeks is making sure i've got flashcards + a mindmap for each topic done then i can move on to purely past paper practice
uploaded the template here: https://ibb.co/kgdfLv1
this is so helpful, thank you!
Reply 5
thanks a lot this was useful! 😁

Quick Reply

Latest