The Student Room Group

french exchange student

hi, so I’m a girl, and have a male french exchange student staying. he’s really nice, but doesn’t seem to get personal space lmao. he always sits super close on the sofa ; puts his arm on the back of my chair when we sit; and leans in close to talk. when we met up with his friend (also french) his friend did the same sort of thing. is this normal in other countries, and english boys are just the anomalies? it doesn’t bother me, i’d just like to know whats up. any advice appreciated x
Original post by Anonymous #1
hi, so I’m a girl, and have a male french exchange student staying. he’s really nice, but doesn’t seem to get personal space lmao. he always sits super close on the sofa ; puts his arm on the back of my chair when we sit; and leans in close to talk. when we met up with his friend (also french) his friend did the same sort of thing. is this normal in other countries, and english boys are just the anomalies? it doesn’t bother me, i’d just like to know whats up. any advice appreciated x
no that is not normal he probably wants you to be his gf
Thought I replied to this yesterday, but obviously not. It is absolutely true to say that the British are generally more reserved and prudish when it comes to physical contact compared to other Europeans. In other European countries physical contact is just much more of a standard part of social relationships. So there's every chance that this is a cultural difference and something that they've been raised with. Equally, it may not be, and it may be that he is interested in you. Could be both, of course, or neither. It's difficult to say, but if it's not bothering you there's no real need to overthink it. The only takeaway for me is that you've learned that different people, whether for cultural reasons or not, can have different approaches to physical space and contact, and that's fine.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey there! I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling uncomfortable. Maybe you could try talking to him and letting him know how you feel. Just tell him that you need a bit more personal space. I'm sure he'll understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending