The Student Room Group

Finance Degree (in Australia or elsewhere) and A levels

I dont do Maths as an A level but I do take Accounting, Economics, Business and Computer Science can I get a Finance degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bloop_its
I dont do Maths as an A level but I do take Accounting, Economics, Business and Computer Science can I get a Finance degree?

Yup. Whilst many Finance degrees will mandate A level Maths, not all do.

For example, Lancaster University offer a BSc Finance degree (details here) where their A level requirements are specified simply as ABB, with no specific subject requirements. They do mandate "GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6", however.

The list of universities to which you can apply will be reduced, perhaps significantly, but it will not be empty.
You can, but you probably won't be able to apply to some of the top universities for finance or accounting and finance.
Reply 3
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
You can, but you probably won't be able to apply to some of the top universities for finance or accounting and finance.

Can I contact them and like ask, would i get a chance if i show passion about doing so and like extra curricular activities and other experiences or something like that related to finance and investing…
Reply 4
Can I contact them and like ask, would i get a chance if i show passion about doing so and like extra curricular activities and other experiences or something like that related to finance and investing…

Also my GCSE results for Maths is pretty good being an A* will they consider that?
Nope. It’ll be an automatic rejection if you aren’t taking Maths and it’s an essential subject. Sorry to be blunt, but it’s better not to waste your time with emails trying to win them over. Either target unis that don’t ask for it, or take another year to do Maths.
No. Every applicant will have relevant activities. If you don't meet the subject requirements, you will be rejected automatically at the top universities. You can contact them if you still want to, there's no harm in that. But you need to have A Level Maths. Check out some of the following course pages:

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/degree-programmes-2024/BSc-Accounting-and-Finance

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/bsc-accounting-finance/

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/degree-programmes-2024/BSc-Finance

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/accounting-finance-bsc

https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/accounting-and-finance/bsc-accounting-and-finance/

All of these courses require mathematics (usually at A). Some others do not, and if you're OK with that then there's no issue. Your GCSE grade will not compensate for not taking mathematics.
Original post by Admit-One
Nope. It’ll be an automatic rejection if you aren’t taking Maths and it’s an essential subject. Sorry to be blunt, but it’s better not to waste your time with emails trying to win them over. Either target unis that don’t ask for it, or take another year to do Maths.
Just beat me to the punch :smile:
Reply 8
What If i take the SATs? Any chance then… Im pretty desperate 😂
What If i take the SATs? Any chance then… Im pretty desperate 😂
Don't mean to be rude, but instead of asking here you should really just go and read the course pages for unis you are interested in. It's pretty clear-cut. For those I had listed, it needs to be an A Level equivalent (so not SAT).
@bloop_its, your opening question was, "I dont do Maths as an A level but I do take Accounting, Economics, Business and Computer Science can I get a Finance degree?" Several people above (myself included) have told you that you can - you just have to pick a university which doesn't mandate an A level in Maths.

However, rather than focus on that good news, and establish to which universities you can apply, deciding which you prefer, etc., you've opted to focus on the universities to which you can't apply because you don't meet their mandatory requirements. Why is that? It's like a kid being told that he can have any toy in the shop, except those on aisle 1, who becomes "pretty desperate" to obtain an toy on aisle 1 simply because he's been told he can't have it.

I mentioned Lancaster (ranked in the 11 to 20 range for Accounting & Finance according to The Complete University Guide, The Guardian and QS World Rankings), yet you casually dismissed it. Are you only interested in universities which require A level Maths, despite you not having it? If not, then what are you looking for in your ideal university? Knowing that would certainly help point you in the right direction.

Other courses to which you could apply (because they don't mandate A level Maths) are:
Banking and Finance BSc at University of Leeds
Accounting and Finance BSc at University of Leeds
BSc Finance at University of Exeter
BSc Accounting and Finance at University of Exeter
BA Accounting and Finance at University of Durham

Are none of those worthy of your consideration? Are still fixated on what you can't have?
Reply 11
Original post by DataVenia
@bloop_its, your opening question was, "I dont do Maths as an A level but I do take Accounting, Economics, Business and Computer Science can I get a Finance degree?" Several people above (myself included) have told you that you can - you just have to pick a university which doesn't mandate an A level in Maths.
However, rather than focus on that good news, and establish to which universities you can apply, deciding which you prefer, etc., you've opted to focus on the universities to which you can't apply because you don't meet their mandatory requirements. Why is that? It's like a kid being told that he can have any toy in the shop, except those on aisle 1, who becomes "pretty desperate" to obtain an toy on aisle 1 simply because he's been told he can't have it.
I mentioned Lancaster (ranked in the 11 to 20 range for Accounting & Finance according to The Complete University Guide, The Guardian and QS World Rankings), yet you casually dismissed it. Are you only interested in universities which require A level Maths, despite you not having it? If not, then what are you looking for in your ideal university? Knowing that would certainly help point you in the right direction.
Other courses to which you could apply (because they don't mandate A level Maths) are:
Banking and Finance BSc at University of Leeds
Accounting and Finance BSc at University of Leeds
BSc Finance at University of Exeter
BSc Accounting and Finance at University of Exeter
BA Accounting and Finance at University of Durham
Are none of those worthy of your consideration? Are still fixated on what you can't have?

Im sorry I did check Lancaster out its in the uk where i might not be able to afford to go thats my only problem there and its not close to my home country at all being in the other side of the world, Im sorry 😞
Im sorry I did check Lancaster out its in the uk where i might not be able to afford to go thats my only problem there and its not close to my home country at all being in the other side of the world, Im sorry 😞

Eh? You mean all this time you haven't been targeting UK universities? :confused:

Why did you not mention that? That makes all the advice you've been given above null and void. :frown:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 13
Eh? You mean all this time you haven't been targeting UK universities? :confused:
Why did you not mention that? That makes all the advice you've been given above null and void. :frown:

Srry but not exactly but i do see that a level math is a huge requirement i was thinking Australia mainly
Reply 14
Its fine thank you to all of yall tho it was great advice I’ll figure something out
Its fine thank you to all of yall tho it was great advice I’ll figure something out

The advice above is all predicated on you studying in the UK so likely won't be relevant to you. I don't know many people on TSR who are experts in Australian uni admissions.

You need to research Maths requirements for ACCYFIN in Australia yourself I'm afraid.

In the meantime I have amended the thread title to make it clearer what advice you are after.
This is crazy😭😂😂. We've all been duped.
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
This is crazy😭😂😂. We've all been duped.

Indeed we have! :frown: I almost posted a screenshot highlighting the ".co.uk" in the URL, but then decided that OP might be using the app, and I've got no idea if that makes it clear that TSR is UK-centric.
I've now moved the thread to Studying in Australia.

@bloop_its - if you would prefer it in the more general 'International Study' area, just let me know.
Reply 19
Original post by Admit-One
I've now moved the thread to Studying in Australia.
@bloop_its - if you would prefer it in the more general 'International Study' area, just let me know.

Thanks international study area seems good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending