The Student Room Group

Changing uni courses

Hi I am a year 13 student, who applied for chemistry at Oxford and went through the interview process. I had high hopes I thought it went alright but I got rejected. Now I don’t know if chemistry seems my subject to be studying. Don’t get me wrong I love chemistry it’s just I know that going to a different uni won’t get me making a lot of money with a chemistry degree.
So is their any option or anyone who know if it’s possible to change degree courses within the first year of uni. I do a level chemistry, maths and further maths and predicted three A*. I was hoping maybe to change my degree into accounting or finance. Is this possible?
To change within a year you'd have to identify very quickly that you wanted to swap and meet the entry requirements and they'd have to be space for you.

Quoting myself from elsewhere:

"It could range from relatively straightforward to impossible.

I know that isn't useful but it depends on the unis policy about transfers, your grades, and whether the other course is full."

If it's a backup plan if Chemistry ends up not being your thing, yes, it might be possible. But if you are planning a move before even enrolling then you shouldn't be joining on the assumption that it'll be okay to move.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
To change within a year you'd have to identify very quickly that you wanted to swap and meet the entry requirements and they'd have to be space for you.

Quoting myself from elsewhere:

"It could range from relatively straightforward to impossible.

I know that isn't useful but it depends on the unis policy about transfers, your grades, and whether the other course is full."

If it's a backup plan if Chemistry ends up not being your thing, yes, it might be possible. But if you are planning a move before even enrolling then you shouldn't be joining on the assumption that it'll be okay to move.

I still feel that I am able to do chemistry and stil make out a degree with it it’s just I think going to the uni won’t make as money as I thought so how possible would it be for me to switch to accounting and finance?
Original post by student0515
I still feel that I am able to do chemistry and stil make out a degree with it it’s just I think going to the uni won’t make as money as I thought so how possible would it be for me to switch to accounting and finance?

It's not really possible to answer this, as above, it could range from relatively straightforward to impossible. We don't know your grades or what uni we'd be talking about yet.

You don't seem very interested in Chem beyond earning potential. I would not enrol on a course hoping to transfer. You would be much, much better off taking a gap and applying in the next cycle to your next preferred subject.
Hi I am a year 13 student, who applied for chemistry at Oxford and went through the interview process. I had high hopes I thought it went alright but I got rejected. Now I don’t know if chemistry seems my subject to be studying. Don’t get me wrong I love chemistry it’s just I know that going to a different uni won’t get me making a lot of money with a chemistry degree.
So is their any option or anyone who know if it’s possible to change degree courses within the first year of uni. I do a level chemistry, maths and further maths and predicted three A*. I was hoping maybe to change my degree into accounting or finance. Is this possible?

Can I stress that the money thing is an absolute myth. Oxford and Cambridge were a golden ticket to the best jobs maybe 30-50 years ago, not anymore. As a chemistry graduate all high level jobs you apply to will require interviews. They’re not going to see Oxford on your CV and automatically give you a job or a higher salary than someone at the same position who went to a different uni. In addition, Oxford on your CV isn’t going to counteract a poor interview performance. So no, going to another good uni is not going to lower your earning potential in any meaningful way, your salary will primarily depend on the field you go into, not so much the uni you attend. For instance, in investment banking you’re going to make far far more money than you would ever make going into chemistry or other scientific fields.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Can I stress that the money thing is an absolute myth. Oxford and Cambridge were a golden ticket to the best jobs maybe 30-50 years ago, not anymore. As a chemistry graduate all high level jobs you apply to will require interviews. They’re not going to see Oxford on your CV and automatically give you a job or a higher salary than someone at the same position who went to a different uni. In addition, Oxford on your CV isn’t going to counteract a poor interview performance. So no, going to another good uni is not going to lower your earning potential in any meaningful way, your salary will primarily depend on the field you go into, not so much the uni you attend. For instance, in investment banking you’re going to make far far more money than you would ever make going into chemistry or other scientific fields.

Hi thank you for the advice. I have chosen to stick with my chemistry degree I was kind of spiralling because I thought Oxford was the place I was meant to be at. But do you know if it would be more easier or useful for me to do a degree in accounting and fianance then chemistry. Or does anyone have success stories of finishing a chem degree then joining big business firms.
Hi thank you for the advice. I have chosen to stick with my chemistry degree I was kind of spiralling because I thought Oxford was the place I was meant to be at. But do you know if it would be more easier or useful for me to do a degree in accounting and fianance then chemistry. Or does anyone have success stories of finishing a chem degree then joining big business firms.

Although I wasn’t who you asked, I would recommend looking at what an accounting and finance degree actually entails - would you find it more manageable and enjoyable than chemistry?

If you look at graduate destinations for chemistry, it seems perfectly possible to end up in the finance sector - companies such as Deloitte are listed in the graduate destinations for chemistry at Bristol, for example: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/careers/career-options/chemistry/
Reply 7
Which universities are you looking at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending