The Student Room Group

Independent student under 25 - living with mum

Hi there,
I am in a bit of tricky situation. I currently rent jointly with my mum and been self sufficient for more than 3 years. Will I be classed as independent? I can evidence it with my P60s which shows annual income of £16k, £26k and £28k for the last three years.
I want to apply as independent as my mum earns a significant amount which I believe will reduce my loan eligibility amount if I apply as a dependent.
Hope I'm making sense?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Booossshhh007
Hi there,
I am in a bit of tricky situation. I currently rent jointly with my mum and been self sufficient for more than 3 years. Will I be classed as independent? I can evidence it with my P60s which shows annual income of £16k, £26k and £28k for the last three years.
I want to apply as independent as my mum earns a significant amount which I believe will reduce my loan eligibility amount if I apply as a dependent.
Hope I'm making sense?
Thanks in advance
Hi there,

Yes you are making sense. When did you first start university? Is the 24/25 Academic Year your first year if you have not started yet?

Thanks, Ross
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,
Yes you are making sense. When did you first start university? Is the 24/25 Academic Year your first year if you have not started yet?
Thanks, Ross
Thanks for your reply. I'll be starting my final year of study from April 2024. I didn't take out maintenance loan for first two years of my study. And the earnings that I mentioned was for three years before my course started in April 2022. I haven't got P60s but have printed HMRC employment history for those years.
Original post by Booossshhh007
Thanks for your reply. I'll be starting my final year of study from April 2024. I didn't take out maintenance loan for first two years of my study. And the earnings that I mentioned was for three years before my course started in April 2022. I haven't got P60s but have printed HMRC employment history for those years.
Thank you for confirming.

We would need to see you were able to financially support yourself for at least 3 years prior to the first day of your First Academic Year. If you have the evidence for it, please upload it online along with a cover letter stating you want to apply for independence.

Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending