The Student Room Group

Whether I need to supply my partner's income to student finance

Hi, I'm currently studying at university and I'm a little confused. I was not born in the UK and I've been here for 10 years, so I thought I understood how to apply for student finance, but I'm not so sure anymore. I applied last year for student finance and I have been given a loan, I have not read online that because I live with my partner (for the past 3 years), I should have included his income as well and he 'should've' supported my application. Is this correct? Before applying last year, I read that until I am 25 years old or married to him, my partner does not have to fill it out, but now I read differently. So which one is it?
If you are under 25 and not married we would use your parental income to assess for the higher rate of Maintenance Loan, unless you have children, then you would be classed as independent and we would not require this. We also don't require your parental income if you have been financially supporting yourself for 3 years prior to the start of your course.

If you are under 25 and married, it would be your partner's.

Thanks, Leah.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Hey, I’m under 25 and not married but I live with my partner so I don’t have to include his income yet? And I have not lived with my parents for 4 years
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Sandrap789
Hey, I’m under 25 and not married but I live with my partner so I don’t have to include his income yet? And I have not lived with my parents for 4 years
Hi Sandra, do you have 3 years of self support prior to the very start of your course? If so, you can apply as an independent person to be assessed as such. Otherwise we would require your parents to support your application even if you don't live with them. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Yes, I’ve been supporting myself, my parents have not supported me since I was 18 so around 6 years. On the application on the household income, would I still include my partners income or not in this case? Also, thank you so much for all the replies
Yes, I’ve been supporting myself, my parents have not supported me since I was 18 so around 6 years. On the application on the household income, would I still include my partners income or not in this case? Also, thank you so much for all the replies
When does the course begin and when will you turn 25? Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Jason
When does the course begin and when will you turn 25? Thanks, Jason
September 2023, I turn 25 December 2024
(edited 2 months ago)
September 2023, I turn 25 December 2024
Thanks. If the course has already begun and you've been awarded the basic rate you can submit evidence online of your 3 years of self support for us to assess you as an independent student. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending