The Student Room Group

How do I make a personal statement fit for both HSPS and Sociology?

I’m thinking of applying to Cambridge for Human, Social and Political Sciences mainly due to its coverage of Sociology. As well as applying to Cambridge for HSPS, I want to apply to other schools for the course of Sociology. In my personal statement do I just focus entirely on Sociology, or do I briefly mention the other subjects covered (Anthropology and Politics). Would covering those subjects prevent me from getting into universities where i applied for Sociology? Would not/briefly mentioning these subjects prevent me from getting into Cambridge for HSPS?
Original post by Sumaya5673
I’m thinking of applying to Cambridge for Human, Social and Political Sciences mainly due to its coverage of Sociology. As well as applying to Cambridge for HSPS, I want to apply to other schools for the course of Sociology. In my personal statement do I just focus entirely on Sociology, or do I briefly mention the other subjects covered (Anthropology and Politics). Would covering those subjects prevent me from getting into universities where i applied for Sociology? Would not/briefly mentioning these subjects prevent me from getting into Cambridge for HSPS?

Cambridge are well aware of this scenario, and so allow you to send them an optional additional personal statement which targets the course you'll be applying to at Cambridge specifically. Once they receive your UCAS application, they'll send you a link to what they call My Cambridge Application, via which they capture some additional information which isn't captured by UCAS. There is where you'd provide the additional personal statement (which is entirely optional). From memory, it's about half the length of the UCAS personal statement.

So you could focus your UCAS personal statement entirely on Sociology and leave the HSPC-specific parts for My Cambridge Application. (Note that the deadine for My Cambridge Application is 22 October 2024 this year, which isn't much after the main Cambridge UCAS deadline. So you might want to prepare the bulk of your additional personal statement before-hand, to avoid having to rush it.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Cambridge are well aware of this scenario, and so allow you to send them an optional additional personal statement which targets the course you'll be applying to at Cambridge specifically. Once they receive your UCAS application, they'll send you a link to what they call My Cambridge Application, via which they capture some additional information which isn't captured by UCAS. There is where you'd provide the additional personal statement (which is entirely optional). From memory, it's about half the length of the UCAS personal statement.
So you could focus your UCAS personal statement entirely on Sociology and leave the HSPC-specific parts for My Cambridge Application. (Note that the deadine for My Cambridge Application is 22 October 2024 this year, which isn't much after the main Cambridge UCAS deadline. So you might want to prepare the bulk of your additional personal statement before-hand, to avoid having to rush it.)
Thank you sooooooo much, I really appreciate it !!
Original post by Sumaya5673
Thank you sooooooo much, I really appreciate it !!

You're very welcome.
Edit: Wrong post
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by melancollege
Generally, the STEP requirement is much more difficult than the A-Level requirement (for Maths and Further Maths) and much of STEP relies on the content for Further Maths. If you are unable to get an A* in Further Maths, it is likely will struggle with the STEP requirement.

OP hasn't mentioned STEP, Maths, Further Maths, or A level grades. :confused:

Are you sure you've replied to the correct post?
Original post by DataVenia
OP hasn't mentioned STEP, Maths, Further Maths, or A level grades. :confused:
Are you sure you've replied to the correct post?

You are absolutely correct in that I was responding to the wrong post. Sometimes switching tabs to fact-check backfires. My apologies :smile:
Original post by melancollege
You are absolutely correct in that I was responding to the wrong post. Sometimes switching tabs to fact-check backfires. My apologies :smile:

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending