The Student Room Group

Law / Human, Social and Political Sciences

Can you apply to both Cambridge's Human, Social, and Political Sciences degree for one option but law everywhere else?

Is it possible to write a UCAS statement for both?
You can apply to both, and you could conceivably write a personal statement for both, but why would you want to?
Reply 2
Original post by Theloniouss
You can apply to both, and you could conceivably write a personal statement for both, but why would you want to?

Because I am currently unsure on whether to apply for law at all of my five university options or instead apply to HSPS at Cambridge and then apply to law for my four remaining options.
My original plan was to apply for law at all five options, however, my head of year said that this would potentially limit my chances of securing a place at Cambridge as it is such a competitive course and suggested I research HSPS. Although I am interested in the content taught in HSPS I am really passionate about law so I'm just not sure what to do.

My other concern is that if a write a personal statement that would suite both law and HSPS it would potentially be weaker as I wouldn't be focusing just on one course.
Original post by HarrietN67
Because I am currently unsure on whether to apply for law at all of my five university options or instead apply to HSPS at Cambridge and then apply to law for my four remaining options.
My original plan was to apply for law at all five options, however, my head of year said that this would potentially limit my chances of securing a place at Cambridge as it is such a competitive course and suggested I research HSPS. Although I am interested in the content taught in HSPS I am really passionate about law so I'm just not sure what to do.

My other concern is that if a write a personal statement that would suite both law and HSPS it would potentially be weaker as I wouldn't be focusing just on one course.

Ultimately, if you want to do Law that's what you should apply to. Applying to a course you don't want to do is going to give you a worse chance, even if it's theoretically less competitive.
Original post by HarrietN67

The personal statement would be a relatively minor issue because you could submit a law PS to UCAS and use the supplementary PS on the Cambridge SAQ to talk about HSPS.

However if it's law that you want to study and feel passionately about, why wouldn't you apply for it? Most importantly, wouldn't you rather study your first-choice subject at a different university rather than get into Cambridge but have to study a subject that isn't your first choice? At Cambridge you should expect to spend about 40 hours a week, the equivalent of a full-time job, on uni work, and it's important for it to be in a subject you enjoy.

Of course there's the option of studying a non-law subject and doing a law conversion course once you graduate, but this is something I normally suggest to people who think they might want a legal career but also have another subject they are passionate about studying. The impression I get from your post is that law is the subject you feel most passionately about, rather than HSPS?
Reply 5
Seems crazy to try and gamble the system - HSPS is very competitive too. Apply for Law - they want people passionate about the chosen subject and it would seem well odd to have a PS about law and not be applying to that at the toughest uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending