The Student Room Group

I'm so stuck between Sheffield and Liverpool

I will be taking architecture, but Sheffield offers a 'Landscape and Architecture' dual honours which I think sounds really good.

If it wasn't for the dual honours, I'd definitely pick UoLiverpool because the city is more familiar and I prefer the way it looks and feels and I know what the people are like and how the nightlife is. With Sheffield I like the fact it's near nature and but I don't really know, the city and 'campus' just looked quite grey and depressing- I'd mostly be going for the course.

Has anyone here done the dual honours before, is it worth it?? (I feel like I could just go the traditional route instead and still end up where I want)
Does anyone know what the clubs/societies are like- I like sport, music and art? (everything lol)
How social are each of the cities for uni students- I heard that in Liverpool, ppl who actually live there don't like the uni students?

sorry I wrote so much!
Original post by Anonymous #1
I will be taking architecture, but Sheffield offers a 'Landscape and Architecture' dual honours which I think sounds really good.
If it wasn't for the dual honours, I'd definitely pick UoLiverpool because the city is more familiar and I prefer the way it looks and feels and I know what the people are like and how the nightlife is. With Sheffield I like the fact it's near nature and but I don't really know, the city and 'campus' just looked quite grey and depressing- I'd mostly be going for the course.
Has anyone here done the dual honours before, is it worth it?? (I feel like I could just go the traditional route instead and still end up where I want)
Does anyone know what the clubs/societies are like- I like sport, music and art? (everything lol)
How social are each of the cities for uni students- I heard that in Liverpool, ppl who actually live there don't like the uni students?
sorry I wrote so much!

Hi there!

I know it is a different university (I'm assuming you have applied for Uni of Sheffield) but I thought I could tell you a little bit about how I have found Sheffield as a city!

Firstly, I have found Sheffield to be a very welcoming city for students in general! There are two universities which are both fairly central so there are a lot of students and everyone is very friendly and nice! I've also found it good for a night out if you like going out and there is one street which has lots of bars and clubs on which makes for a good night especially as there is always lots of students here.

I'm not sure about the campus but the city itself is nice! I like going shopping and the shops are good and Meadowhall is very close by too. There is also lots of nice places to eat which are affordable for students and very central.

I also like going to the botanical gardens which is close to where you will be studying and its really nice and peaceful here which is great as it is very close to the city centre but feels completely different! It's especially nice in spring and summer. The peak district is also very close which is nice if you like nature and going for walks and hikes as they are all very easily accessible.

As for societies, I can't speak on what specifically they have but I know they have lots of sports teams as every year there is a sports varsity between Hallam and Uni of which I have been to watch a few times and is always a great event.

I would recommend going to an applicant open day for both universities if they have one as you will be able to get more information about the course itself and meet people you may be studying with!

I'm sure whichever place you choose will be great and I have heard that Liverpool is a great city too :smile:

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Reply 2
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi there!
I know it is a different university (I'm assuming you have applied for Uni of Sheffield) but I thought I could tell you a little bit about how I have found Sheffield as a city!
Firstly, I have found Sheffield to be a very welcoming city for students in general! There are two universities which are both fairly central so there are a lot of students and everyone is very friendly and nice! I've also found it good for a night out if you like going out and there is one street which has lots of bars and clubs on which makes for a good night especially as there is always lots of students here.
I'm not sure about the campus but the city itself is nice! I like going shopping and the shops are good and Meadowhall is very close by too. There is also lots of nice places to eat which are affordable for students and very central.
I also like going to the botanical gardens which is close to where you will be studying and its really nice and peaceful here which is great as it is very close to the city centre but feels completely different! It's especially nice in spring and summer. The peak district is also very close which is nice if you like nature and going for walks and hikes as they are all very easily accessible.
As for societies, I can't speak on what specifically they have but I know they have lots of sports teams as every year there is a sports varsity between Hallam and Uni of which I have been to watch a few times and is always a great event.
I would recommend going to an applicant open day for both universities if they have one as you will be able to get more information about the course itself and meet people you may be studying with!
I'm sure whichever place you choose will be great and I have heard that Liverpool is a great city too :smile:
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
thanks for the insight!
I will be going to their offer holder days so that should help hopefully :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending