The Student Room Group

Orthoptics Applications 2023

Hi! I’m very eager to study Orthoptics at university in 2023 but I’m worried about how niche of a course it is. With only 3 universities offering it as undergrad I’m wondering if anyone knows if people looking to study it could fill up the 2 remaining applications with similar-ish courses?
I vaguely remember seeing someone say they applied for something along the line’s of biosciences but I can’t be sure !

On that note, if it is possible does anybody know which courses I could apply to? I feel like applying to optometry won’t go well because of how much emphasis there is on the differences between the two.

FYI: one of the reasons I’m so eager to fill up the remaining applications is because I’m doing an Access to Science qualification. I’m assuming these will be prioritised less than other qualifications and want to make sure I’ll be getting into university next year. I am also not a mature student and will only be 19 by the time the academic year starts, which can sometime’s effect if universities are more likely to accept you.

Thanks ! :smile:
Original post by emlav
Hi! I’m very eager to study Orthoptics at university in 2023 but I’m worried about how niche of a course it is. With only 3 universities offering it as undergrad I’m wondering if anyone knows if people looking to study it could fill up the 2 remaining applications with similar-ish courses?

Have a look at other health roles - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/explore-roles

Many Unis will accept 2nd Personal Statements where you are applying for different subjects - check with the Uni before you apply.
Hi! I’m hoping to study orthoptics at university next year (2023) so it’s amazing to see someone else applying to this super niche but interesting course. I’ve not yet submitted my application but I do hope that some of what I say is good advice:

If you’re confident in that you’ll get the minimum BBB grades required for orthoptics, then I would just say that just put those three universities down and you’ll be sure to get an offer (subject to your interview performance which I presume will be fine anyway). If you’re not sure you’ll get the required grades or you just want something to bounce on if all does not go well on results day, then I’d suggest putting some biosciences degrees to fill those two spots up. For example, my ‘predicted’ grades are ABB but I’ve put Human Biology at Liverpool Hope University as one of my options to fall back onto if something goes wrong on A level results day. (I enjoy Human Biology a lot, and it’s a suitable alternative for me in comparison to doing something very boring or exhausting like biochemistry).

You’re saying you’re doing an Access to Science qualification - is this the same as the Access to HE diploma? If so, Sheffield Uni find that perfectly fine as an entry requirement and the website says that you have to achieve “45 credits at Level 3, including 24 at Distinction and 21 at Merit.”

If you want to do something like Human Biology at Liverpool Hope University, they ask for 112 tariff points for your Access to HE diploma. Overall, you won’t be prioritised less than other students if you achieve the correct grades/points required for the course :smile:

Also, age NEVER affects your university application - no university takes that into consideration unless you’re a mature student but even then, it shows the dedication that you’re willing to put in to study a university course!

Here’s the link to the Human Biology course mentioned above: https://www.hope.ac.uk/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/humanbiology/

I really hope this helped, it’s great to see an aspiring Orthoptics applicant :smile:

If you do have any questions, lmk
Reply 3
Hi! I'm a current second year orthoptic student at university of Liverpool. If you have any questions about the course feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 4
Hi, I’ve applied for orthoptics at all 3 of the unis, I’ve got interviews for Glasgow and Sheffield but haven’t heard from Liverpool at all. I was wondering if Liverpool takes longer to get back to you? Or is this a bad sign?
Original post by Ollie75
Hi! I'm a current second year orthoptic student at university of Liverpool. If you have any questions about the course feel free to ask :smile:

Hi there,

I hope the interview went well . So i wouldn't be worried about this at all, it may just be that the staff dealing with the interviews and giving offers are very busy. There are many factors beyond your control which can affect the pace of offers being given out. Good luck and I hope you receive an offer soon.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
what sort of questions will they ask for the interview for orthoptics
Hi, I had my interview and these are based on the questions they asked me: An example of a time I demonstrated an NHS value, any knowledge of Orthoptics, Difference between orthoptics and optom, what skills you think an orthoptist would need and any previous experience you've had in orthoptics.

Original post by Abdullah_1)what sort of questions will they ask for the interview for orthoptics
Hi, was this for the university of Sheffield interview.
Reply 9
Original post by emlav
I vaguely remember seeing someone say they applied for something along the line’s of biosciences but I can’t be sure !

On that note, if it is possible does anybody know which courses I could apply to? I feel like applying to optometry won’t go well because of how much emphasis there is on the differences between the two.

FYI: one of the reasons I’m so eager to fill up the remaining applications is because I’m doing an Access to Science qualification. I’m assuming these will be prioritised less than other qualifications and want to make sure I’ll be getting into university next year. I am also not a mature student and will only be 19 by the time the academic year starts, which can sometime’s effect if universities are more likely to accept you.

Thanks ! :smile:

Hi!
I'm also on the same boat as you, as I have applied for Orthoptics for 2023 and I am looking very forward to studying this course.

I am also studying an access course at the age of 19. Similar to you I am worried that age will play a factor in deciding whether I get an entry or not, but hopefully it won't be the case as the comments say so.
Also, in terms of the access course, I think it is looked at equally to other qualifications. Some universities may also consider any previous equivalent qualifications such as A-levels along with the access course.

How is your access course going and how much have you completed so far? For my extra courses, I have decided to apply for Optometry at 3 universities and I have received interviews for two of these.
Which additional courses did u choose to apply for in the end? xx
Really nice to see so many people applying for the same course!! :smile: All the best for everyone applying this year <3
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, have you received any interviews for orthoptics yet?
Also which uni did u apply for optometry in?
Hope it works out for you and best of luck to you !!!

Original post by Cats244
Hi!
I'm also on the same boat as you, as I have applied for Orthoptics for 2023 and I am looking very forward to studying this course.

I am also studying an access course at the age of 19. Similar to you I am worried that age will play a factor in deciding whether I get an entry or not, but hopefully it won't be the case as the comments say so.
Also, in terms of the access course, I think it is looked at equally to other qualifications. Some universities may also consider any previous equivalent qualifications such as A-levels along with the access course.

How is your access course going and how much have you completed so far? For my extra courses, I have decided to apply for Optometry at 2 universities and I have received interviews for these two.
Which additional courses did u choose to apply for in the end? xx
Really nice to see so many people applying for the same course!! :smile: All the best for everyone applying this year <3
Original post by El22:7
Hi, I’ve applied for orthoptics at all 3 of the unis, I’ve got interviews for Glasgow and Sheffield but haven’t heard from Liverpool at all. I was wondering if Liverpool takes longer to get back to you? Or is this a bad sign?

Have you heard anything yet? I’m still waiting for a response from Liverpool too.
has anyone received an offer from Liverpool?
Reply 13
Original post by bethhxpe
Have you heard anything yet? I’m still waiting for a response from Liverpool too.

Yh I did hear back. I had an interview on the 25th of January and got an offer on the 3rd of February.
But they take the longest out of the 3. I waited over 5 weeks between me submitting my application and then telling me I had an interview. So that’s probably why you are still waiting.
Original post by El22:7
Yh I did hear back. I had an interview on the 25th of January and got an offer on the 3rd of February.
But they take the longest out of the 3. I waited over 5 weeks between me submitting my application and then telling me I had an interview. So that’s probably why you are still waiting.

I had my interview this morning. Hopefully they won't take long to get back to me because I really need to know what I'm doing next year. I think it went okay, not sure though.
I had my interview this morning. Hopefully they won't take long to get back to me because I really need to know what I'm doing next year. I think it went okay, not sure though.

Update: I got in!
Reply 16
Original post by fiza0504
Hi, have you received any interviews for orthoptics yet?
Also which uni did u apply for optometry in?
Hope it works out for you and best of luck to 8

Congratulations!!

I have also received offers from both Liverpool and Sheffield but I am stuck which one to choose.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can choose the best one. What sort of deciding factors influenced you?

Congratulations! :smile:

Let me know you have any questions about the University of the city!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest