The Student Room Group

Worrying about Employability [Bsc Economics and Politics]

Hi everyone, I've applied to multiple unis and received offers (yay) for Econ and Politics, both fields I'm really interested in. I was initially happy with my choice, but have been essentially told by everyone that I should have just gone for a pure Economics degree and that I wouldn't be able to get a job in the Econ/Finance sectors [If I decide that's for me] since I would be outcompeted by people with pure Economics or Finance degrees. Is this true?
Original post by chompy32
Hi everyone, I've applied to multiple unis and received offers (yay) for Econ and Politics, both fields I'm really interested in. I was initially happy with my choice, but have been essentially told by everyone that I should have just gone for a pure Economics degree and that I wouldn't be able to get a job in the Econ/Finance sectors [If I decide that's for me] since I would be outcompeted by people with pure Economics or Finance degrees. Is this true?

Degree is irrelevant for most finance careers. You wouldn't be outcompeted by anyone. What really matters is the reputation/status of the university you attend.
Reply 2
don't worry the exact degree you study doesn't really matter as long as the content is relevant. Just need a 2.1 at least to meet the minimum requirements, and better grades/internships will make you a more competitive candidate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending