The Student Room Group

Economics or Law at uni

Throughout yr 10 and 11 I wanted to take law at university. However this year (12) I've gained a lot of love for economics so I don't know if o should do this instead. I picked subjects much more suitable for law (Econ, Eng lit, RS, Maths) and I didn't take Further Maths despite it being offered at my school.
As someone who did well at GCSE and wants to go to a top university, am I more suited for law or economics?
Reply 1
You dont need FM for Economics at many top Universities - the subjects you are taking are fine, though you may like to think about dropping one so that you can focus on the 3 grades that will matter.
Hi there

It is nice to hear that you are already starting to think about University choices.

Perhaps you can take a look at different Universities' entry requirements. This would show you which courses you could apply for. I do not think Economics requires further maths. Since you did well in GCSEs, your options are quite open. Focus on achieving good A level grades and demonstrating different skills through work experience would really boost your applications.

Also attending open days are really important, these could really help to inform your decision. So, if you get the chance to, do consider speaking to some of the staff at open days. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
You dont need FM for Economics at many top Universities - the subjects you are taking are fine, though you may like to think about dropping one so that you can focus on the 3 grades that will matter.

My school requires us to take 4 A levels till AS standard and then I'll probably drop one later. I'm keeping both economics and Maths, but do you think it matters which one I keep as my third? As in will English be more respected than RS?
Original post by studysturdy
My school requires us to take 4 A levels till AS standard and then I'll probably drop one later. I'm keeping both economics and Maths, but do you think it matters which one I keep as my third? As in will English be more respected than RS?

Won't make a difference. Whichever you'll get a better grade in and/or you enjoy more.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

It is nice to hear that you are already starting to think about University choices.

Perhaps you can take a look at different Universities' entry requirements. This would show you which courses you could apply for. I do not think Economics requires further maths. Since you did well in GCSEs, your options are quite open. Focus on achieving good A level grades and demonstrating different skills through work experience would really boost your applications.

Also attending open days are really important, these could really help to inform your decision. So, if you get the chance to, do consider speaking to some of the staff at open days. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

I've been looking at various universities but all the requirements seem a bit vague. I'm just worried that since economics is a fairly competitive course students with more relevant subjects like further maths or business would be preferred.

I do know that some universities also have BA economics and politics/ philosophy courses, but I don't know if these are less respected and if applying to them instead of BSc Economics will be detrimental to future employment?
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Won't make a difference. Whichever you'll get a better grade in and/or you enjoy more.

That's good to know, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest