The Student Room Group

Biomedical science(s) at Royal Holloway or University of surrey

Good afternoon

I Got an biomedical sciences conditional from both, and i am still deciding which of these 2 should I put as my insurance choice.

I like both of the course structures and I'm indifferent about the nightlife and atmosphere/culture of the areas.

The only thing that's preventing me from making a decision is on which uni is better at teaching and which will have a higher chance of getting me a job when I graduate.

Knowing that royal Holloway is accredited by the royal society of biology while Uni of Surrey is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) confused me in a way that i dont really know what the difference and what advantage do they respectively give.
i think the fact that it is Ibms accredited help you to work in nhs (im not sure but then then what the point of the Royal society one?)

Surrey is in the biosciences Guardian University Guide 2020 rank as the 8th and is TEF gold (while rhul is the 64th and is TEF silver )

And 36th in complet uni guide 2020 in biological science subject area while rhul is 46th.

rhul is asking ABB while surrey is asking BBB so i was also thinking how lenient they are if in case you miss the grade by a little bit?

In the uni guide the Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) are bio chem math with BCB (respectively) while for surrey it is BBB (same as the entry requirement) , even though i know it's all about how popular is the course (which vary every year) so these statistics are not "reliable"

I live in deep south west London ( ALMOST not considered in London, rhul is quite close by car while Surrey is around 30 min as well).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by aminanmoy
Good afternoon

I Got an biomedical sciences conditional from both, and i am still deciding which of these 2 should I put as my insurance choice.

I like both of the course structures and I'm indifferent about the nightlife and atmosphere/culture of the areas.

The only thing that's preventing me from making a decision is on which uni is better at teaching and which will have a higher chance of getting me a job when I graduate.

Knowing that royal Holloway is accredited by the royal society of biology while Uni of Surrey is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) confused me in a way that i dont really know what the difference and what advantage do they respectively give.
i think the fact that it is Ibms accredited help you to work in nhs (im not sure but then then what the point of the Royal society one?)

Surrey is in the biosciences Guardian University Guide 2020 rank as the 8th and is TEF gold (while rhul is the 64th and is TEF silver )

And 36th in complet uni guide 2020 in biological science subject area while rhul is 46th.

rhul is asking ABB while surrey is asking BBB so i was also thinking how lenient they are if in case you miss the grade by a little bit?

In the uni guide the Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved) are bio chem math with BCB (respectively) while for surrey it is BBB (same as the entry requirement) , even though i know it's all about how popular is the course (which vary every year) so these statistics are not "reliable"

I live in deep south west London ( ALMOST not considered in London, rhul is quite close by car while Surrey is around 30 min as well).

For biomed I would pick the one accredited with IBMS. I did biology and the accreditation by royal society doesn’t seem to mean much, but the IBMS is usually required to work in NHS and some medical research labs. I live about 30 minutes between the two and would pick Surrey as it seems more social as Rhul is a bit out from anywhere
Reply 2
What confuse me the the most is what the difference between them ? Does that mean that the degree that is accredited by the royal Society of biology is less important?
What confuse me the the most is what the difference between them ? Does that mean that the degree that is accredited by the royal Society of biology is less important?

Tbh I don’t know, but I’ve never been asked if my biology degree is accredited by the royal society of biology but my friends who did biomed are asked whether their degree is accredited with IBMS (think it is to do with a portfolio of skills they need to work in a medical facility)
Original post by asclepeion
IBMS accredited courses will ensure their students create a portfolio of academic and scientific experiences that will allow the student to receive a certificate of competence to register for HCPC and work as a biomedical scientist. Any NHS/government biomedical scientist position requires HCPC registration which the IBMS accredited degree will help with.
If you’re not IBMS accredited but want to work as a biomedical scientist and get a HCPC registration, you’ll need to get your degree assessed by IBMS.

RSB accredited universities will mean that students must undertake a research project in their final year and pass the project to gain the RSB accreditation.

I went to Royal Holloway and personally loved it there but if you aim to be able to work as a biomedical scientist then I’d go with Surrey and I hear the facilities are fantastic.

Completely agree with this. I also went to Royal Holloway to study Biomedical Science. As the degree isn't IBMS accredited we were told to become HCPC registered after graduating, we would have to complete additional modules that weren't covered in our degree. So, if you're sure you want to become a biomedical scientist, the easiest route would be to study at Surrey :smile:
Original post by asclepeion
IBMS accredited courses will ensure their students create a portfolio of academic and scientific experiences that will allow the student to receive a certificate of competence to register for HCPC and work as a biomedical scientist. Any NHS/government biomedical scientist position requires HCPC registration which the IBMS accredited degree will help with.
If you’re not IBMS accredited but want to work as a biomedical scientist and get a HCPC registration, you’ll need to get your degree assessed by IBMS.

RSB accredited universities will mean that students must undertake a research project in their final year and pass the project to gain the RSB accreditation.

I went to Royal Holloway and personally loved it there but if you aim to be able to work as a biomedical scientist then I’d go with Surrey and I hear the facilities are fantastic.

This is false on a few points.

IBMS-accredited do not put you through the registration portfolio to gain an IBMS Certificate of Competence to register with the HCPC. If you graduate from an IBMS-accredited Biomedical Science course then you then have to go on and find a trainee post to complete the portfolio. The only time you will complete it during your degree is the NHS PTP (BSc Healthcare Science (LIfe Science)), which is the fastest route, or during a sandwich course, but NHS placements are few and far between on these.

It's stated that HCPC registration is required if you want to work as a BMS in the NHS or government. False. It is illegal to refer to yourself as a Biomedical Scientist unless you are HCPC registered, it is a protected title. You need HCPC registration to be a Biomedical Scientist, regardless of sector.
Good afternoon

hi, what did you end up choosing? I'm in the exact same dilemma a few years later haha
Original post by sarushelepurushe
hi, what did you end up choosing? I'm in the exact same dilemma a few years later haha
Hi there!

I hope the previous replies have helped you in some way, but it might be good for you to chat to our biomed students on our Unibuddy page. That way, you can ask course-specific questions, and also get an idea of what student life is like in Guildford and on campus =)

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Good afternoon
Hello,

We hope you managed to find all the information you need!

If you have any further questions, feel free to chat with one of our current students. Find out what life is really like at Royal Holloway: www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat and sign up for more information about us here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/sign-up-for-more-information/

Best wishes,

Royal Holloway, University of London Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending