The Student Room Group

how many words should I write for my dissertation draft?

I'm doing a qualitative research project and the draft is due on Monday. Currently I've done 3000 words and I'm aiming for around 9,000-10,000 for my final submission. But what would be a good amount to write for my draft? I honestly don't think I'll be able to reach 8,000?+ words at this stage with only 3 days until I've got to submit it
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm doing a qualitative research project and the draft is due on Monday. Currently I've done 3000 words and I'm aiming for around 9,000-10,000 for my final submission. But what would be a good amount to write for my draft? I honestly don't think I'll be able to reach 8,000?+ words at this stage with only 3 days until I've got to submit it

Hello there,

The draft submission dates are a week or two before the final one. By now, you should've wrapped up your fieldwork and ideally made good progress on hitting that word limit.

But if you're only at 3000 words, here's my advice: focus on getting your literature review and methodology chapters done properly. They're the backbone of your research. Also, it is important to complete at least a good portion of the analysis chapter and write about your main findings. And don't forget to chat with your supervisor about the word limit. They'll have some solid suggestions on which parts to focus on for the draft submission. It's all about getting their guidance to make sure you're on the right track. Instead of focussing on word count, my recommendation would be to write as much as possible in these sections. This shows you are on the right track and will be able to conclude your research on time. Also, the purpose of draft submission is to get feedback for your findings, and change anything if required before the final submission. So, the best thing is to contact your supervisor about this immediately. Please feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Student).
Reply 2
Original post by Heriot-Watt Uni
Hello there,
The draft submission dates are a week or two before the final one. By now, you should've wrapped up your fieldwork and ideally made good progress on hitting that word limit.
But if you're only at 3000 words, here's my advice: focus on getting your literature review and methodology chapters done properly. They're the backbone of your research. Also, it is important to complete at least a good portion of the analysis chapter and write about your main findings. And don't forget to chat with your supervisor about the word limit. They'll have some solid suggestions on which parts to focus on for the draft submission. It's all about getting their guidance to make sure you're on the right track. Instead of focussing on word count, my recommendation would be to write as much as possible in these sections. This shows you are on the right track and will be able to conclude your research on time. Also, the purpose of draft submission is to get feedback for your findings, and change anything if required before the final submission. So, the best thing is to contact your supervisor about this immediately. Please feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.
Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Student).

my dissertation (final one) is due in may so I've got some time thankfully!!
Thanks for the response, I'll definitely try to focus on the analysis and findings section!
Original post by Anonymous #1
my dissertation (final one) is due in may so I've got some time thankfully!!
Thanks for the response, I'll definitely try to focus on the analysis and findings section!

Oh, that's great. Happy to help! Best of luck with your draft, and the final submission.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending