The Student Room Group

My teacher moved me from triple to foundation science

Hi,
Im currently in year 11 and didn't do as well as I could've on my November mocks, I got 4-4-4. Because of this the school have moved me all the way down to foundation which I know isn't what im capable of and is a complete waste of my potential. I also want to do A level sciences and they require 6s which I can't get in foundation.

My dad has emailed the head of science and he won't budge on his decision, saying that my data doesn't back up that ill be able to get a decent grade in higher, my head of year is fairly new and said that he has nothing to do with it, and I don't know what the hell to do.

Its all that has been on my mind and my school don't do mocks in February /march so I won't be able to prove to them that I can do it. Ive done foundation past papers at home and achieve 85-95% each time.

I honestly have no clue what to do now, if they won't listen to me or my dad, and honestly it just seems like all the school care about its their reputation. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Original post by mj6856
Hi,
Im currently in year 11 and didn't do as well as I could've on my November mocks, I got 4-4-4. Because of this the school have moved me all the way down to foundation which I know isn't what im capable of and is a complete waste of my potential. I also want to do A level sciences and they require 6s which I can't get in foundation.

My dad has emailed the head of science and he won't budge on his decision, saying that my data doesn't back up that ill be able to get a decent grade in higher, my head of year is fairly new and said that he has nothing to do with it, and I don't know what the hell to do.

Its all that has been on my mind and my school don't do mocks in February /march so I won't be able to prove to them that I can do it. Ive done foundation past papers at home and achieve 85-95% each time.

I honestly have no clue what to do now, if they won't listen to me or my dad, and honestly it just seems like all the school care about its their reputation. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Have you given any thought as to why things didn't go well in your mocks? How do you know the same thing wouldn't happen in May/June?

You say that Foundation Tier "isn't what im capable of". Do you have any evidence of that (and I don't mean taking a test at home, as that's such an unrealistic scenario)? Or is this just self-belief?

How did you do in your end of year tests?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Have you given any thought as to why things didn't go well in your mocks? How do you know the same thing wouldn't happen in May/June?

You say that Foundation Tier "isn't what im capable of". Do you have any evidence of that (and I don't mean taking a test at home, as that's such an unrealistic scenario)? Or is this just self-belief?

How did you do in your end of year tests?

firstly, I had a lot of issues going on at home, my mum got diagnosed with cancer 2 weeks before my exams started and that put me off revision tbf. last year, I got 6-5 in my mocks which shows I can get higher than foundation top marks, when I told this to the head of science he told me that that wasn't the full course
Original post by mj6856
firstly, I had a lot of issues going on at home, my mum got diagnosed with cancer 2 weeks before my exams started and that put me off revision tbf. last year, I got 6-5 in my mocks which shows I can get higher than foundation top marks, when I told this to the head of science he told me that that wasn't the full course

Sorry to hear about your mum. Had that happened two weeks before a real exam you could have made a request for Special Consideration, and the exam board would have adjusted your mark upwards slightly in an attempt to make allowances. It seems that your school don't operate a similar policy. In fact, do they actually know that this happened, which would have clearly had an impact on your exam performance?

The 6-5 grade sounds like it was for Combined Science. Is that right? The title of this thread says "moved me from triple". So last year you were doing Combined Science, in Higher Tier. As you did well, you were moved to Triple Science, presumably in Higher Tier again. But due to the issue with the mocks you've just done, you've been moved back to Combined Science, in Foundation Tier. Have I got that right?

That sounds very unjust to me. Assuming I've got the above right, how would Combined Science at Higher Tier work for you in terms of being able to do science A levels? Would they take a 6-6 at Combined Science, or do they need you to have taken separate sciences and got 6 in each of them?

If so, then that might be worth suggesting. At the end of the day, it's your school who decide what to enter you for. So all you can do is try to persuade them.

I know you've said that there are no further mocks. However, if you offered to sit another paper over lunch or after school (i.e. in exam conditions) in an attempt to prove you ability, do you think that might work?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Sorry to hear about your mum. Had that happened two weeks before a real exam you could have made a request for Special Consideration, and the exam board would have adjusted your mark upwards slightly in an attempt to make allowances. It seems that your school don't operate a similar policy. In fact, do they actually know that this happened, which would have clearly had an impact on your exam performance?

The 6-5 grade sounds like it was for Combined Science. Is that right? The title of this thread says
Reply 5
Original post by mj6856
Hi,

foundation is a bit of a stretch but 4-4-4 so late into y11 may be why, but also if you're borderline failing science right now and ur previous grades dont show much progress, theyd have reason to move you down, to where you'd do better, like you said you achive 85% on foundation

Quick Reply

Latest