The Student Room Group

Best things to do in year 11 for oxbridge?

As the title states, I'm in year 11 and I have aspirations to go to Cambridge University to study Medicine. I was wondering if there are any super curricular things I could do to gradually build up strong points to put on my statement, or is it too early? Also, I'm planning to pick Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology as my A-levels, with the EPQ on top of that, would that work in favour for studying Medicine in Higher Education?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Applying for Medicine : https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/study-medicine

And get a job in a Care-Home.
4 subjects AND EPQ? Not impossible but the workload would be horrible.If you're doing medicine you'll need work experience too.
Also, you don't need 4 subjects. 3 is enough for the requirement.
Reply 3
Original post by Bookworm524
4 subjects AND EPQ? Not impossible but the workload would be horrible.If you're doing medicine you'll need work experience too.
Also, you don't need 4 subjects. 3 is enough for the requirement.

Yeah, I'm doing an MDV program I think as well, which will shorten my college days to 3 or 4, with the rest being at work experience. However, the person in charge of the High Achiever's program (who went to Oxford Uni) said that Oxbridge do not really care at all about work experience in that regard. But if Further Maths is way too much and doesn't add much, I guess I might aswell drop it?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Applying for Medicine : https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/study-medicine

And get a job in a Care-Home.

Would it be better to do these courses instead of Further Maths?
I would genuinely not do anything other than get the best GCSE grades you can. I study law at Oxford (which I appreciate is probably easier than medicine) and I didn't do anything until the summer I wrote my personal statement (summer after year 12), at which point all I did was read a few law related books off Oxford's reading list and do a short Open University course on EU law. If you want to do stuff now you could look at Cambridge's medicine reading list, which will probably be on their website, and read some of the books/articles on in and decide which topics you're most interested in studying as the interview will probably focus a lot on your way of thinking about the subject and what your interests are within it. Good luck with GCSEs :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Username123ab
I would genuinely not do anything other than get the best GCSE grades you can. I study law at Oxford (which I appreciate is probably easier than medicine) and I didn't do anything until the summer I wrote my personal statement (summer after year 12), at which point all I did was read a few law related books off Oxford's reading list and do a short Open University course on EU law. If you want to do stuff now you could look at Cambridge's medicine reading list, which will probably be on their website, and read some of the books/articles on in and decide which topics you're most interested in studying as the interview will probably focus a lot on your way of thinking about the subject and what your interests are within it. Good luck with GCSEs :smile:

Thank you very much, that's genuinely so helpful. I should actually be revising now for my mocks right now actually....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending