The Student Room Group

Prestigious Universities which are not in UK/US

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ghassan
I want to see the German student who gets a scholarship for both Imperial and LMU Munich and decides to study at Munich.......the only reason would be not wanting to leave Germany. However besides that its clear that Imperial is much superior, especially regarding the qualitiy of teaching...

well seeing that LMU mainly focuses on Arts.. hardly worth comparing.
well done on your research.
But they do have exchange programmes with Oxbridge and Ivy league universities.
The top rated ones in Australia are in "the group of 8": http://www.go8.edu.au/

Most Australians rate the ones in Sydney (Sydney, UNSW), Melbourne (Monash, Melbourne), and Canberra (ANU) higher, but I must say I'm in Sydney, so I have the perspective of someone on the east coast.
Reply 42
Quote:

I want to see the German student who gets a scholarship for both Imperial and LMU Munich and decides to study at Munich.......the only reason would be not wanting to leave Germany. However besides that its clear that Imperial is much superior, especially regarding the qualitiy of teaching...
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would be rather careful with such statements, the academic standard (in terms of what students learn) is higher in Germany This is partly because the students do not pay significant tuition fees like in the UK as absurd as this may sound.

Just imagine what would happen if the exams at Imperial College were that hard like in German universities, meaning how could Imperial justify higher failure rates to parents financing 12k per year to finance studying in London.

I would say that teaching at UK universities is just different to German universities; nobody will question that the staff-student ratio is much better at most UK universities. Also studying an engineering discipline involves more practical work (coursework, assignments, projects...) which is not that usual in Germany.

On the other hand there are some striking differences if you compare say the curricula of Computer Science and the equivalent in Germany - Informatik. At Imperial College there are exactly 3 semester courses in Maths (1 term Mathematical Methods, 2 terms Discrete Mathematics each with 20 lectures). A typical computer science student in Germany studies Maths for four semesters with roughly 8 hours contact time per week (plus self-study). You could argue that Imperial students just spent hours in the library for self-study - from my experience as a 1st year student they simply don't. So you could say that the average maths knowledge is more profound in Germany.

Can someone help to shed light on these obvious discrepancies - is it just the different way the UK uni system works.?

( If anyone has ever seen an exam at RWTH aachen in one of the technical subjects - it is not funny...)
Reply 43
KLL
Heidelberg is amazingly overrated.

Depends on what you want to study... but good places are, University Munich (LMU), Technical Uni (TU) Munich, Uni Stuttgart, Uni Karlsruhe, both big Berlin unis are ok, University of Frankfurt
Most Paris instiutions, University of Amsterdam, Trinity College Dublin, McGill canada, university of Barcelona and Madrid, Erasmus University, some of the big Italian ones (Rome, Milano, Bologna), Vienna, Univ. Zurich, ETH Zurich, St Gallen, Charles University Prague, National University of Singapore, University of Hong Kong, Australia National University, Sydney University, Tokyo and Kyoto University, Peking University, Universidad de Chile and the odd other south american instiution, Hebre University Jerusalem, Karolinska Institutet, Moscow State Uni, UBC in Canada, Toronto, Copenhagen, Leiden, Maastricht, and a lot more that i can come up with top of my head...

I was under the impression that universities in Spain and Italy weren't really regarded as so prestigious, despite their history.
Within Australia, look at Australian National University, University of Melbourne, and University of Sydney. All three are highly regarded on the international stage.
Reply 45
UofT, UBC, and Mcgill in Canada.

Science PO, and La Sorbonne in France.

ETH Zurich in Switzerland.

U of Tokyo in Japan.

Universities in the middle east are not regarded as prestigious by world standards. But within the region, American universities of Cairo and Beirut, as well as KFUPM in Saudi Arabia are regarded as the most "prestigious". This may be helpful to foreign students who may be interested in spending a year in the middle east studying Islamic studies or Arabic language and culture.
Reply 46
Ghassan

In what? It;s maybe better in teaching English, but in engineering never. Germany will always be the leader in technology.

And I know many german students returning back home after they ' re 1st year at Oxbridge. :mad:
Reply 47
Aquarian
In what? It;s maybe better in teaching English, but in engineering never. Germany will always be the leader in technology.

And I know many german students returning back home after they ' re 1st year at Oxbridge. :mad:

I'd like to second your argument here. German universities are excellent in engineering and technology-related fields. Arguably, they are the best in Europe, given that Germany is the most advanced European country in the technology front.
Reply 48
5 points to ravenclaw.
Reply 49
Fares

Science PO, and La Sorbonne in France.

Both are indeed rather well regarded, essentially from overseas (although sc po also enjoys significant prestige in France) .

However, the French take a somewhat different view and consider the Grandes Ecoles as the only genuinely elite, highly selective and prestigious institutions, as less ambitious or talented students go to ... unis (with the exception of medical studies and law, for which unis enjoy a quasi monopoly).

The most prestigious grandes écoles are arguably:
- Ecole Normale Supérieure, Polytechnique, Mines de Paris, Centrale Paris for engineering schools
- ESSEC and HEC as regards business schools
- Normale supérieure (again) for humanities
- ENA, for public management.

Having graduated from one of these schools will equally impress colleagues, recruiters, business partners, dates and in-laws!
Reply 50
University of Hong Kong, NTU, Melbourne, Uni of Tokyo, NUS, ANU, IIT, IIM, Uni of Munich.
To be honest no German university can really compete with the top 20 in the world. Even in Germany people don't know too much about which universities have the best standard. People rather choose a uni according what kind of city they want to live in and how near the uni is to their hometown

I disagree. I have a lot of experience with US (exchange) and German universities and through my family with Oxbridge. LMU München can't compete with Oxbridge ok, but Warwick, UCL, Imperial for sure. I think you will find that in engineering, etc... German unis are very competitive and in a lot of other subjects too. If the best German unis are so bad, how come our economy hasn't collapsed yet?

I'll give you an example, according to the Shanghai Ranking which gives Anglo-American unis dominance in the world, i have studied at the Nr. 16 of the world (UW in Seattle) and the Nr. 55 (LMU) [http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai-Ranking]. For my subject and i reckon most the German university was MUCH more technical, had a more demanding course and so on. Heck, some things the Americans did in their senior year was part of our first semester.
Reply 52
Rob L
I disagree. I have a lot of experience with US (exchange) and German universities and through my family with Oxbridge. LMU München can't compete with Oxbridge ok, but Warwick, UCL, Imperial for sure. I think you will find that in engineering, etc... German unis are very competitive and in a lot of other subjects too. If the best German unis are so bad, how come our economy hasn't collapsed yet?

I'll give you an example, according to the Shanghai Ranking which gives Anglo-American unis dominance in the world, i have studied at the Nr. 16 of the world (UW in Seattle) and the Nr. 55 (LMU) [http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai-Ranking]. For my subject and i reckon most the German university was MUCH more technical, had a more demanding course and so on. Heck, some things the Americans did in their senior year was part of our first semester.

As a matter of fact Germany is the richest country in Europe. and third richest in the world. :cool:
Reply 53
xxxchrisxxx
lol you wish

your disagreeing with my list is largely due to your ignorance. sorry.
Reply 54
All of these have same grade requirement as Oxbridge...

Stockholm school of economics - often rated higher than London school of economics.

KI, Stockholm - one of the top medical schools in the world

Fudan university, China - top 3 overall in china, but rated highest in social sciences. I think beijing is top 1.

Tokyo.

Uppsala, Sweden - Social sciences
Reply 55
Original post by fadetogrey
Bogazici University in Istanbul & Hacettepe University in Ankara.

you might like to add METU in Ankara to that; but nothing in Turkey is competitively in a league worldwide in terms of top 200. Not to mention the incredibly oppressive environment in Turkey against students, journalists and the like which hinders growth and will remain so for a considerable time to come.
ETH Zurich is one of the best in the world for science.
Reply 57
For business definitely Solvay Business School in Brussels, Belgium but you are most likely to fail it is considered as one of the hardest and most competitive program in Europe.

You also have Katholiek Universiteit Leuven in Belgium which is really good.

Maastricht University in the Netherlands which is one of the top universities in the Netherlands and which is also highly competitive.

Bucerius Law School in Hamburg, Germany
Original post by synvilla
All of these have same grade requirement as Oxbridge...

Stockholm school of economics - often rated higher than London school of economics.

KI, Stockholm - one of the top medical schools in the world

Fudan university, China - top 3 overall in china, but rated highest in social sciences. I think beijing is top 1.

Tokyo.

Uppsala, Sweden - Social sciences

I thought Tsinghua University was the top university in China. Probably on par with each other.
Original post by vivieneswi
i think the other way round,they probably attend foreign universities tbh.:smile:

Not necessarily. It really depends on the program. If one was entering into law, business, or medicine and they got in, they would definitely stay in Hong Kong. If one's marks weren't so good, then they would go overseas during their secondary school years and apply for universities elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest