The Student Room Group

Accepting offers from Common App and UCAS

Hello!
I am an American student interested in studying in the UK. I've sent in several applications through the Common App for American universities, and am finalizing my UCAS application for four schools between England and Scotland.

The issue is: all of the UK universities I am applying to are prestigious, and I don't expect to be getting an unconditional offer. That means that while I'll hear back from both the US and UK schools around the same time, I won't know if I'll meet requirements of my conditional offer(s) until I receive my AP scores in June/July 2024, which is far after the deadline to respond to the US schools.

So, how do I go about accepting offers? My first thought is to just accept a Common App offer as a safety and lose the deposit, but I'm concerned that this may invalidate any UCAS offers.

Any advice is appreciated! Let me know if I can clarify anything.
Reply 1
Original post by dylpickle3.14
Hello!
I am an American student interested in studying in the UK. I've sent in several applications through the Common App for American universities, and am finalizing my UCAS application for four schools between England and Scotland.

The issue is: all of the UK universities I am applying to are prestigious, and I don't expect to be getting an unconditional offer. That means that while I'll hear back from both the US and UK schools around the same time, I won't know if I'll meet requirements of my conditional offer(s) until I receive my AP scores in June/July 2024, which is far after the deadline to respond to the US schools.

So, how do I go about accepting offers? My first thought is to just accept a Common App offer as a safety and lose the deposit, but I'm concerned that this may invalidate any UCAS offers.

Any advice is appreciated! Let me know if I can clarify anything.

You cannot apply to the same Unis through Common App and UCAS.
Each CA Uni will tell you how/when to accept their offer.
UK Unis will make you a conditional offer and that will be 'confirmed' when you have your AP grades.
You can hold offers at USA Unis and UK Unis at the same time, you then just have to decide which you actually want to go to when you get your results.
Presumably if you decided that you wanted to come to the UK at that point, you would just decline your USA offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending