The Student Room Group

Vegans . . .

Here's one thing I just don't understand . . .

We are all guilty of complicity, in one way or another and to varying degrees, in the harming and death of other creatures. Whether we are carnivore, vegan, or something in between, no matter how carefully we choose our food, somewhere back along the long chain of food production and preparation, killing took place. No matter how carefully we trod, with every step countless insects, mites, and other creatures inadvertently perish under our feet. This is just the nature of our world.

Is there not a danger of extremism when it comes to veganism? Vegetarianism is understandable I think (which is why I took the step to becoming one several months ago), but when it comes to veganism I can't help but feel it's taking it too far.

I mean, you're just never going to avoid killing something. Look around you right now - are there things made of wood? How many animals perished when the tree was cut down? Are there things made of plastic? Animal fats are often used in the production of plastic you know. And then we could go on to talk about frutarianism - after all, we could all potentially avoid the unnecessary killing of plant life if we only ate fruits and vegetables which don't kill the plant.

I'm not having a go at all - I say good on you! :yep: It's just that I think it can perhaps put you on a slippery slope. Personally, I'm content with the knowledge that I'm not directly complcit in the killing of an animal when I eat eggs or milk. After all, I'm not demanding the meat; I'm demanding the milk and eggs.

Do any vegans have strong views regarding this? I'd be really interested to hear what you have to say. :smile:

What do people think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Vegans, along with vegetarians, are scum.

Meat is God's gift to the working man.
Reply 2
ten bob

I don't think you can defines someone's character by what they do/don't eat (unless their a cannibal!!)
If your citing God as a defence in your opinion, originally in Genesis there is no mention of humans eating meat, not untill the fall.
Whilst there is a possibility of a slippery slope, most people find a balance in their life at some point. And I see it the other way around. For those people who care about the welfare of animals, how can they find it humane to consume dairy products in the knowledge that there are animals in captivity for their food (and that ultimately they will die, and if they are not willing to eat the meat or use other animal product, that is animal carcass put to waste by their choice of diet). But I myself am not vegan or vegetarian, I try for the most part to only eat meat occasionally and know about the origin of the meat that I do eat...
I'm a vegan. One of the main reasons is because I don't want animals to be exploited for the food in which I eat.

Veganism, the same as vegetarianism is about the deliberate harming of animals. Unfortunately, as you had said, animals and insects are killed in a number of ways, but many of these instances are accidental, not deliberate.
guitargirl03
I'm a vegan. One of the main reasons is because I don't want animals to be exploited for the food in which I eat.

Veganism, the same as vegetarianism is about the deliberate harming of animals. Unfortunately, as you had said, animals and insects are killed in a number of ways, but many of these instances are accidental, not deliberate.

So, when I buy milk (or even something like milk chocolate or soup with cream in for example - all that kind of stuff containing whey powder which is absolutely everywhere it seems) or buy eggs (free range/organic) do you consider my action unethical? Have I deliberately harmed those cows and hens? I'm really curious to hear what vegans think.
Also, I have pet cats in 'captivity'; would vegans consider that unethical? I like to think they lead very good, comfortable lives and they are well loved. I adore my cats and treat them with respect but there are some people who say I'm wrong for keeping them.

Like someone else metioned, aren't animals on organic/free range farms often better off?
Your points are all correct.. pretty much everything we do involves killing in one way or another. There are hidden deaths in everything.. unfortunately hidden human deaths too (coca-cola/shell oil etc etc).

Its always a case of being "as vegan as you can be". Its impossible to avoid suffering you know isnt there, or thats involved in products you actually need... but it is possible to avoid dairy, eggs and all derivatives, animal susbstances in products, cosmetic animal testing...

You can always be more ethical than you are, but I find veganism (from an animal right point of view) a good balance between hypocracy and extremism.
ten bob

And why is that exactly?
HappinessHappening
Also, I have pet cats in 'captivity'; would vegans consider that unethical? I like to think they lead very good, comfortable lives and they are well loved. I adore my cats and treat them with respect but there are some people who say I'm wrong for keeping them.

Like someone else metioned, aren't animals on organic/free range farms often better off?

Keeping pets is not unethical as such but its a common debating point among vegans. I personally am uncomfortable keeping pets, and would at most foster a rescue animal if it had nowhere else to go.
SoundDevastation
Your points are all correct.. pretty much everything we do involves killing in one way or another. There are hidden deaths in everything.. unfortunately hidden human deaths too (coca-cola/shell oil etc etc).

Its always a case of being "as vegan as you can be". Its impossible to avoid suffering you know isnt there, or thats involved in products you actually need... but it is possible to avoid dairy, eggs and all derivatives, animal susbstances in products, cosmetic animal testing...

You can always be more ethical than you are, but I find veganism (from an animal right point of view) a good balance between hypocracy and extremism.

I see what you mean. :smile:

The thing is, what about people who can't afford all of the vegan substitutes for things? I mean, some people just can't afford to buy loads of organic stuff.
SoundDevastation
Keeping pets is not unethical as such but its a common debating point among vegans. I personally am uncomfortable keeping pets, and would at most foster a rescue animal if it had nowhere else to go.

What's wrong with it though?

Like I keep saying, please don't think I'm having a go. I'm just curious to find out about veganism. :smile:
HappinessHappening
And why is that exactly?

He doesn't know what he is talking about, that lad.

Anyway, I am a vegetarian... I think veganism is a little too 'militant' and I would be probably putting my health at risk if I did subscribe to veganism because I am very thin and aneamic as it is, so my maion source of Iron (meat) is already ruled out I have to look to cheese and eggs etc. But even so, I just wouldn't be a vegan. I am a vegetarian because I disagree with animals being killed for our food tables and that's it.
Reply 13
Hmmm. You never get meat-eaters telling you they're meat-eaters.

Why do veggies et al feel the need to impose their ill-founded politics on everybody else?
HappinessHappening
I see what you mean. :smile:

The thing is, what about people who can't afford all of the vegan substitutes for things? I mean, some people just can't afford to buy loads of organic stuff.

You dont need all that. My shopping consists almost entirely of fruits, vegetables, pulses, spices and grains, which I buy from markets and whole food shops. The only slightly pricey ingredients I use are oils, nuts and seeds... even soya milk is cheaper than cow's milk if you pop into Aldi. I have and can easily live on less than £8/week.
mancsmithsfan
He doesn't know what he is talking about, that lad.

Anyway, I am a vegetarian... I think veganism is a little too 'militant' and I would be probably putting my health at risk if I did subscribe to veganism because I am very thin and aneamic as it is, so my maion source of Iron (meat) is already ruled out I have to look to cheese and eggs etc. But even so, I just wouldn't be a vegan. I am a vegetarian because I disagree with animals being killed for our food tables and that's it.

Yeah, same. I took the decision a few months back for those reasons but couldn't be vegan. I mean, even all the quorn stuff has egg and milk in.

I met a few vegans who tried to suggest that we are still killing animals by consuming milk and eggs because those animals are eventually slaughtered - what do you think of that? Personally, that got my back up a bit.

I mean, it's a personal decision. I don't think I'm morally superior to a meat eater (except perhaps those who eat meat from battery cages and intensive farms. I don't understand how people put up with that really) but these vegans had a real air of superiority about them which I didn't like.

Know what I mean?
HappinessHappening
What's wrong with it though?

Like I keep saying, please don't think I'm having a go. I'm just curious to find out about veganism. :smile:

The main reason Im vegan is that my politics spill over to animals aswell.. Aside from raising children I do not think that we should have control over the lives of any being.
SoundDevastation
You dont need all that. My shopping consists almost entirely of fruits, vegetables, pulses, spices and grains, which I buy from markets and whole food shops. The only slightly pricey ingredients I use are oils, nuts and seeds... even soya milk is cheaper than cow's milk if you pop into Aldi. I have and can easily live on less than £8/week.

Ah, that's cool.

Erm, let me get this straight, do you think I'm complicit in the deaths of animals for consuming eggs and milk? I met a vegan who accused me of that.
ten bob
Hmmm. You never get meat-eaters telling you they're meat-eaters.

Why do veggies et al feel the need to impose their ill-founded politics on everybody else?

Why do people like you et al feel the need to troll this thread?
HappinessHappening
Ah, that's cool.

Erm, let me get this straight, do you think I'm complicit in the deaths of animals for consuming eggs and milk? I met a vegan who accused me of that.

Not directly, I dont think badly about people who are not vegan, its their choice. But I obviously think egg and milk production is wrong otherwise I wouldnt be vegan.. cause the fact is that you're supporting an industry which involves the use of animals, and these animals are not given a happy retirement!

Latest

Trending

Trending